AffiliationClinical Age Assessment Unit, Department of Medicine, Division of Ageing and, Therapeutics, Mid-Western Regional Hospital, Limerick, Ireland., firstname.lastname@example.org
Carotid Artery, Internal, Dissection/diagnosis/*etiology
Infarction, Middle Cerebral Artery/diagnosis/etiology
Magnetic Resonance Angiography
Magnetic Resonance Imaging
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAviat Space Environ Med. 2011 Oct;82(10):995-7.
JournalAviation, space, and environmental medicine
AbstractBACKGROUND: Cervical artery dissection is a common cause of stroke in young patients without vascular risk factors and may affect the carotid or vertebral arteries. The risk of spontaneous dissection is higher in those with genetic predisposing factors while other cases may be precipitated by an event involving head or neck movement or associated with direct neck trauma. CASE REPORT: We present the case of a previously well young woman with a history of migraine who developed internal carotid artery dissection following a turbulent short-haul commercial flight while restrained using a seatbelt. DISCUSSION: We propose that repetitive flexion-hyperextension neck movements encountered during the flight were the most likely precipitant of carotid artery dissection in this case and review the therapeutic options available.
- Traumatic carotid artery dissection during acrobatic flight associated with -G(z) acceleration.
- Authors: Adler A, Ruskin KJ, Greer DM
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- [Case of spontaneous cervical internal carotid artery dissection with embolic stroke after a job-change].
- Authors: Aoyama Y, Ohta S, Sakaki S, Nishizawa S, Fujita T
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 1
- Spontaneous carotid and vertebral artery dissection in children.
- Authors: Camacho A, Villarejo A, de Aragón AM, Simón R, Mateos F
- Issue date: 2001 Sep
- Three cases of cervicocephalic artery dissection in an amusement park.
- Authors: Kurita N, Ueno Y, Watanabe M, Miyamoto N, Shimura H, Nonaka S, Tsutsumi S, Yasumoto Y, Hattori N, Urabe T
- Issue date: 2014 Nov-Dec
- Simultaneous bilateral internal carotid and vertebral artery dissection following chiropractic manipulation: case report and review of the literature.
- Authors: Nadgir RN, Loevner LA, Ahmed T, Moonis G, Chalela J, Slawek K, Imbesi S
- Issue date: 2003 May