Provision of general paediatric surgical services in a regional hospital.
AffiliationDepartments of Surgery and Anaesthesia, Mid-Western Regional Hospital, Limerick, , Ireland.
General Surgery/*statistics & numerical data
Health Services Accessibility/*statistics & numerical data
Health Services Needs and Demand/*statistics & numerical data
Hospitalization/statistics & numerical data
Pediatrics/*statistics & numerical data
Surgery Department, Hospital/*statistics & numerical data
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2010 Mar;179(1):29-33. Epub 2009 Sep 11.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: In Ireland, specialist paediatric surgery is carried out in paediatric hospitals in Dublin. General surgeons/consultants in other surgical specialities provide paediatric surgical care in regional centres. There has been a failure to train general surgeons with paediatric skills to replace these surgeons upon retirement. AIM: To assess paediatric surgical workload in one regional centre to focus the debate regarding the future provision of general paediatric surgery in Ireland. METHODS: Hospital in-patient enquiry (HIPE) system was used to identify total number of paediatric surgical admissions and procedures. Cases assessed requiring hospital transfer. RESULTS: Of 17,478 surgical patients treated, 2,584 (14.8%) were under 14 years. A total of 2,154 procedures were performed. CONCLUSION: Regional centres without dedicated paediatric surgeons deliver care to large numbers of paediatric patients. The demand for care highlights the need for formal paediatric services/appropriate surgical training for general surgical trainees.
- Survey of general paediatric surgery provision in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Authors: Pye JK, Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland.
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- Where should paediatric surgery be performed?
- Authors: Arul GS, Spicer RD
- Issue date: 1998 Jul
- Paediatric surgery--a general hospital experience.
- Authors: Fahy E, Ahmed K, Lowery AJ, Khan W, Waldron R, Barry K
- Issue date: 2012 Nov-Dec
- The delivery of general paediatric surgery in Ireland: a survey of higher surgical trainees.
- Authors: Boyle E, Walsh SR, Grace PA
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- Childhood circumcision in Northern Ireland: a barometer of the current practice of general paediatric surgery.
- Authors: Groves H, Bailie A, McCallion W
- Issue date: 2010 May