Quality of stroke care at an Irish Regional General Hospital and Stroke Rehabilitation Unit.
AffiliationDepartment Medicine for the Elderly, Clinical Age Assessment Unit, Mid-Western, Regional Hospital, Dooradoyle, Limerick, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Databases as Topic/statistics & numerical data
Hospitals, General/statistics & numerical data
Intensive Care Units/*statistics & numerical data
Medical Audit/statistics & numerical data
Quality of Health Care/standards/*statistics & numerical data
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2009 Mar;178(1):19-23. Epub 2008 Sep 24.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Robust international data support the effectiveness of stroke unit (SU) care. Despite this, most stroke care in Ireland are provided outside of this setting. Limited data currently exist on the quality of care provided. AIM: The aim of this study is to examine the quality of care for patients with stroke in two care settings-Regional General Hospital (RGH) and Stroke Rehabilitation Unit (SRU). METHODS: A retrospective analysis of the stroke records of consecutive patients admitted to the SRU between May-November 2002 and April-November 2004 was performed applying the UK National Sentinel Audit of Stroke (NSAS) tool. RESULTS: The results of the study reveal that while SRU processes of care was 74% compliant with standards; compliance with stroke service organisational standards was only 15 and 43% in the RGH and SRU, respectively. CONCLUSION: The quality of stroke care in our area is deficient. Comprehensive reorganisation of stroke services is imperative.
- Access to stroke care in England, Wales and Northern Ireland: the effect of age, gender and weekend admission.
- Authors: Rudd AG, Hoffman A, Down C, Pearson M, Lowe D
- Issue date: 2007 May
- The national sentinel audit for stroke: a tool for raising standards of care.
- Authors: Rudd AG, Irwin P, Rutledge Z, Lowe D, Wade D, Morris R, Pearson MG
- Issue date: 1999 Sep-Oct
- Improving clinical practice in stroke through audit: results of three rounds of National Stroke Audit.
- Authors: Irwin P, Hoffman A, Lowe D, Pearson M, Rudd AG
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Stroke unit care: recurrence, mortality and institutionalisation rates-a four year follow-up study.
- Authors: Walsh T, Donnelly T, Carew S, O' Connor C, O' Riordan R, Lyons D
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- New Zealand National Acute Stroke Services Audit 2009: organisation of acute stroke services in New Zealand.
- Authors: Child N, Barber PA, Fink J, Jones S, Voges K, Vivian M
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 12