Relapsing tubulointerstitial nephritis in an adolescent with inflammatory bowel disease without aminosalicylate exposure.
AffiliationDepartment of Medicine, Mid-Western Regional Hospital, Dooradoyle, Limerick,, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Anti-Inflammatory Agents, Non-Steroidal/adverse effects/*therapeutic use
Inflammatory Bowel Diseases/complications/diagnosis/*drug therapy
Mesalamine/adverse effects/*therapeutic use
MetadataShow full item record
CitationClin Nephrol. 2010 Mar;73(3):250-2.
AbstractA 14-year-old boy presented with ongoing constipation as a manifestation of newly diagnosed Crohn's disease (CD) and a concomitant decline in renal function with biopsy-proven interstitial nephritis. Initiation of steroid therapy and mesalazine was associated with an improvement in symptoms and renal function. We describe a rare case of a 5-aminosalicylic acid (5-ASA)-naive patient who developed interstitial nephritis in association with CD with no evidence of other primary glomerulopathy. A unique feature of the case being a profound systemic inflammatory response at the time of diagnosis and a relapse in nephritis 2 months after cessation of mesalazine in the absence of any macroscopic colitis.
- 5-Aminosalicylic acid (5-ASA) and chronic tubulointerstitial nephritis in patients with chronic inflammatory bowel disease: is there a link?
- Authors: De Broe ME, Stolear JC, Nouwen EJ, Elseviers MM
- Issue date: 1997 Sep
- [Tubulo-interstitial nephritis in inflammatory bowel disease: extra-intestinal manifestation or drug toxicity?].
- Authors: Heidt J, Ooms EC, van der Werf SD, Groeneveld JH
- Issue date: 2010
- Review article: interstitial nephritis associated with the use of mesalazine in inflammatory bowel disease.
- Authors: Corrigan G, Stevens PE
- Issue date: 2000 Jan
- Acute tubular injury associated with mesalazine therapy in an adolescent girl with inflammatory bowel disease.
- Authors: Uslu N, Demir H, Saltik-Temizel IN, Topaloğlu R, Gürakan F, Yüce A
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- Mesalazine-associated tubulo-interstitial nephritis in inflammatory bowel disease.
- Authors: Calviño J, Romero R, Pintos E, Losada E, Novoa D, Güimil D, Mardaras J, Sanchez-Guisande D
- Issue date: 1998 Apr