The fate of titanium miniplates and screws used in maxillofacial surgery: a 10 year retrospective study.
AffiliationDepartment of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Mid Western Regional Hospital,, Limerick, Ireland.
*Bone Plates/adverse effects
*Bone Screws/adverse effects
Fracture Fixation, Internal/instrumentation
Jaw Fixation Techniques/*instrumentation
Oral Surgical Procedures/*instrumentation
MetadataShow full item record
CitationInt J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2009 Jul;38(7):731-5. Epub 2009 Mar 21.
JournalInternational journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery
AbstractThe objective of this 10 year, retrospective study is to evaluate the indications for the removal of titanium miniplates following osteosynthesis in maxillofacial trauma and orthognathic surgery. All patients who had miniplates placed in a Regional Oral and Maxillofacial Department between January 1998 and October 2007 were included. The following variables were recorded: patient gender and age, number of plates inserted, indications for plate placement, location of plates, number and location of plates removed, indications for plate removal, time between insertion and removal, medical co-morbidities, and the follow-up period. During the 10 years of the study, 1247 titanium miniplates were placed in 535 patients. A total of 32 (3%) plates were removed from 30 patients. Superficial infection accounted for 41% of all plates removed. All complications were minor and most plates were removed within the first year of insertion. A low removal rate of 3% suggests that the routine removal of asymptomatic titanium miniplates is not indicated.
- Removal of bone plates in patients with maxillofacial trauma: a retrospective study.
- Authors: Bakathir AA, Margasahayam MV, Al-Ismaily MI
- Issue date: 2008 May
- Complications and removal rates of miniplates and screws used for maxillofacial fractures.
- Authors: Islamoglu K, Coskunfirat OK, Tetik G, Ozgentas HE
- Issue date: 2002 Mar
- Removal of miniplates in maxillofacial surgery: a follow-up study.
- Authors: Bhatt V, Chhabra P, Dover MS
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- Reasons for miniplate removal following maxillofacial trauma: a 4-year study.
- Authors: Rallis G, Mourouzis C, Papakosta V, Papanastasiou G, Zachariades N
- Issue date: 2006 Oct
- Risk factors contributing to symptomatic miniplate removal: a retrospective study of 153 bilateral sagittal split osteotomy patients.
- Authors: Kuhlefelt M, Laine P, Suominen-Taipale L, Ingman T, Lindqvist C, Thorén H
- Issue date: 2010 May