Analysis of inpatient dermatologic referrals: insight into the educational needs of trainee doctors.
AffiliationMid Western Regional Hospital, Dooradoyle Road, Limerick, Ireland., email@example.com
Aged, 80 and over
Clinical Competence/*statistics & numerical data
Referral and Consultation/*statistics & numerical data
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2009 Mar;178(1):69-71. Epub 2008 Nov 11.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractAIM: To analyse inpatient consultation referrals to the Dermatology Department and to identify the educational needs of junior/trainee doctors. METHODS: Consultation data of inpatients referred to the Dermatology Department between 2001 and 2006 was reviewed. RESULTS: There were 703 referrals identified. Patients were referred from all wards in the hospital. There were a total of 113 different dermatological diagnoses in the group. One-fifth (22%) consultations were for skin infections, 12% had atopic dermatitis, 8% had psoriasis and 8% had clear or suspected drug cause for their rash. In 391 cases, the Consultant Dermatologist's diagnosis was different to the inpatient referral diagnosis on the consultation referral form. CONCLUSIONS: Our results emphasise the need for junior dermatology trainees to undertake extra training in both the dermatologic conditions. This data supports the need for expansion of service provision of dermatology in the region.
- An analysis of inpatient dermatologic consultations at University Hospital Limerick: inadequate infrastructure leads to acute skin failure.
- Authors: Alani A, Sadlier M, Uddin A, Hackett C, Ramsay B, Ahmad K
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Epidemiology and outcomes of dermatology in-patient consultations in a Midwestern U.S. university hospital.
- Authors: Davila M, Christenson LJ, Sontheimer RD
- Issue date: 2010 Feb 15
- Dermatology inpatient consultation in a Portuguese university hospital.
- Authors: Fernandes IC, Velho G, Selores M
- Issue date: 2012 Jun 15
- Analysis of pediatric dermatology inpatient consultations in a pediatric teaching hospital.
- Authors: Afsar FS
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 1
- Pediatric dermatology consultations: a retrospective analysis of inpatient consultations referred to the dermatology service.
- Authors: Peñate Y, Borrego L, Hernández N, Islas D
- Issue date: 2012 Jan-Feb