AffiliationDepartment of Medicine for the Elderly, Mid Western Regional Hospital,, Dooradoyle, Limerick. firstname.lastname@example.org
Health Personnel/*economics/*psychology/statistics & numerical data
Length of Stay/statistics & numerical data
Nurses/economics/psychology/statistics & numerical data
*Physician's Practice Patterns
Physicians, Family/economics/psychology/statistics & numerical data
Quality of Health Care
Referral and Consultation/*economics/*statistics & numerical data
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr Med J. 2009 Jul-Aug;102(7):209-12.
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractOur aim was to assess the acceptability and cost-efficiency of shared consultancy posts. Two consultant physicians worked alternate fortnights for a period of twelve months. Questionnaires were distributed to general practitioners, nurses, consultants and junior doctors affected by the arrangement. Patients or their next of kin were contacted by telephone. 1/17 of consultants described the experience as negative. 14/19 junior doctors reported a positive experience. 11 felt that training had been improved while 2 felt that it had been adversely affected. 17/17 GPs were satisfied with the arrangement. 1/86 nurses surveyed reported a negative experience. 1/48 patients were unhappy with the arrangement. An extra 2.2 (p<0.001) patients were seen per clinic. Length of stay was shortened by 2.49 days (p<0.001). A saving of 69,212 was made due to decreased locum requirements. We present data suggesting structured shared consultancy posts can be broadly acceptable and cost efficient in Ireland.
- Does burnout among doctors affect their involvement in patients' mental health problems? A study of videotaped consultations.
- Authors: Zantinge EM, Verhaak PF, de Bakker DH, van der Meer K, Bensing JM
- Issue date: 2009 Aug 26
- Variation in practice: a questionnaire survey of how congruence in attitudes between doctors and patients influences referral decisions.
- Authors: Carlsen B, Aakvik A, Norheim OF
- Issue date: 2008 Mar-Apr
- Referrals from general practice to consultants in Germany: if the GP is the initiator, patients' experiences are more positive.
- Authors: Rosemann T, Wensing M, Rueter G, Szecsenyi J
- Issue date: 2006 Jan 19
- Dental screening and referral of young children by pediatric primary care providers.
- Authors: dela Cruz GG, Rozier RG, Slade G
- Issue date: 2004 Nov
- Estimated savings from paid telephone consultations between subspecialists and primary care physicians.
- Authors: Wegner SE, Humble CG, Feaganes J, Stiles AD
- Issue date: 2008 Dec