Ex vivo culture of patient tissue & examination of gene delivery.
O'Sullivan, Gerald C
AffiliationCork Cancer Research Centre, Mercy University Hospital and Leslie C. Quick Jnr., Laboratory, University College Cork.
MeSH*Gene Transfer Techniques
Tissue Culture Techniques/*methods
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Vis Exp. 2010 Dec 20;(46). pii: 2378. doi: 10.3791/2378.
JournalJournal of visualized experiments : JoVE
AbstractThis video describes the use of patient tissue as an ex vivo model for the study of gene delivery. Fresh patient tissue obtained at the time of surgery is sliced and maintained in culture. The ex vivo model system allows for the physical delivery of genes into intact patient tissue and gene expression is analysed by bioluminescence imaging using the IVIS detection system. The bioluminescent detection system demonstrates rapid and accurate quantification of gene expression within individual slices without the need for tissue sacrifice. This slice tissue culture system may be used in a variety of tissue types including normal and malignant tissue and allows us to study the effects of the heterogeneous nature of intact tissue and the high degree of variability between individual patients. This model system could be used in certain situations as an alternative to animal models and as a complementary preclinical mode prior to entering clinical trial.
- In vivo bioluminescent imaging of virus-mediated gene transfer and transduced cell transplantation in the intervertebral disc.
- Authors: Leo BM, Li X, Balian G, Anderson DG
- Issue date: 2004 Apr 15
- Ex vivo treatment of prostate tumor tissue recapitulates in vivo therapy response.
- Authors: Zhang W, van Weerden WM, de Ridder CMA, Erkens-Schulze S, Schönfeld E, Meijer TG, Kanaar R, van Gent DC, Nonnekens J
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Using Bioengineered Bioluminescence to Track Stem Cell Transplantation In Vivo.
- Authors: Han D, Wu JC
- Issue date: 2020
- Murine bioluminescent hepatic tumour model.
- Authors: Rajendran S, Salwa S, Gao X, Tabirca S, O'Hanlon D, O'Sullivan GC, Tangney M
- Issue date: 2010 Jul 17
- Preclinical evaluation of gene delivery methods for the treatment of loco-regional disease in breast cancer.
- Authors: Rajendran S, O'Hanlon D, Morrissey D, O'Donovan T, O'Sullivan GC, Tangney M
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 1