Comparison of the T-piece resuscitator with other neonatal manual ventilation devices: A qualitative review.
AffiliationDepartment of Neonatology, Cork University Maternity Hospital, Ireland;, Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, University College Cork, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationResuscitation. 2012 Jan 4.
AbstractAIM: To review the literature surrounding various aspects of T-piece resuscitator use, with particular emphasis on the evidence comparing the device to other manual ventilation devices in neonatal resuscitation. DATA SOURCES: The Medline, EMBASE, Cochrane databases were searched in April 2011. Ongoing trials were identified using www.clinicaltrials.gov and www.controlled-trials.com. Additional studies from reference lists of eligible articles were considered. All studies including T-piece resuscitator use were eligible for inclusion. RESULTS: Thirty studies were included. There were two randomised controlled trials in newborn infants comparing the devices, one of which addressed short and intermediate term morbidity and mortality outcomes and found no difference between the T-piece resuscitator and self inflating bag. From manikin studies, advantages to the T-piece resuscitator include the delivery of inflating pressures closer to predetermined target pressures with least variation, the ability to provide prolonged inflation breaths and more consistent tidal volumes. Disadvantages include a technically more difficult setup, more time required to adjust pressures during resuscitation, a larger mask leak and less ability to detect changes in compliance. CONCLUSIONS: There is a need for appropriately designed randomised controlled trials in neonates to highlight the efficacy of one device over another. Until these are performed, healthcare providers should be appropriately trained in the use of the device available in their departments, and be aware of its own limitations.
- A comparison of three neonatal resuscitation devices.
- Authors: Bennett S, Finer NN, Rich W, Vaucher Y
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Providing PEEP during neonatal resuscitation: which device is best?
- Authors: Dawson JA, Gerber A, Kamlin CO, Davis PG, Morley CJ
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Comparison of methods of bag and mask ventilation for neonatal resuscitation.
- Authors: Finer NN, Rich W, Craft A, Henderson C
- Issue date: 2001 Jun
- A strategy to optimise the performance of the mouth-to-bag resuscitator using small tidal volumes: effects on lung and gastric ventilation in a bench model of an unprotected airway.
- Authors: Zecha-Stallinger A, Wenzel V, Wagner-Berger HG, von Goedecke A, Lindner KH, Hörmann C
- Issue date: 2004 Apr
- Leak during manual neonatal ventilation and its effect on the delivered pressures and volumes: an in vitro study.
- Authors: Hartung JC, te Pas AB, Fischer H, Schmalisch G, Roehr CC
- Issue date: 2012