The management of reduced fetal movements in an uncomplicated pregnancy at term: results from an anonymous national online survey in the Republic of Ireland.
AffiliationThe Anu Research Centre, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University, College Cork, Cork University Maternity Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland., firstname.lastname@example.org
*Physician's Practice Patterns
Practice Guidelines as Topic
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Obstet Gynaecol. 2010;30(6):578-82.
JournalJournal of obstetrics and gynaecology : the journal of the Institute of, Obstetrics and Gynaecology
AbstractThere is currently inconsistent evidence and clinical guidance on how to best manage a pregnancy complicated by reduced fetal movements. This novel, web-based, anonymous questionnaire evaluated 96 assessment and management approaches from doctors working in obstetrics in the Republic of Ireland who were presented with a clinical scenario of a primigravida concerned about reduced fetal movements at 39+3 weeks' gestation. This study identified a lack of clinical practice guidelines available in maternity hospitals in the Republic of Ireland. We demonstrated that almost all clinicians applied more than one assessment method and that most incorporated a cardiotocograph into their assessment. There was a low uptake of simple symphysio-fundal height measurement and high usage of kickcharts. The minority of clinicians admitted or induced their patients. This survey identified the need for national and international guidelines to ensure safe antepartum care and delivery.
- Detection and management of decreased fetal movements in Ireland: a national survey of midwives' and obstetricians' practices.
- Authors: Smith V, Begley C, Devane D
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- [Reduced fetal movements--clinical management, recommendations and information].
- Authors: Saastad E, Frøen JF
- Issue date: 2005 Oct 6
- [Clinical practice variation in reduced fetal movements].
- Authors: Frøen JF, Saastad E, Tveit JV, Børdahl PE, Stray-Pedersen B
- Issue date: 2005 Oct 6
- Detection and management of decreased fetal movements in Australia and New Zealand: a survey of obstetric practice.
- Authors: Flenady V, MacPhail J, Gardener G, Chadha Y, Mahomed K, Heazell A, Fretts R, Frøen F
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Antenatal management of the expectant mother and extreme preterm infant at the limits of viability.
- Authors: Khan R, Burgoyne L, O'Connell M, Dempsey EM
- Issue date: 2010 Oct