Hypovitaminosis D in a healthy female population, aged from 40 to 85 years, in the west of Ireland.
AffiliationBiochemistry Laboratory, Galway University Hospital, Newcastle Road, Galway,, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Aged, 80 and over
Vitamin D Deficiency/*epidemiology
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2011 Mar;180(1):115-9. Epub 2010 Aug 17.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Increasing attention has been focused on diseases associated with ageing, as the mean age of the population in developed countries increases. Vitamin D and parathyroid hormone play key roles in calcium homeostasis, which is integral to skeletal health. AIMS: To assess the vitamin D status of healthy, community dwelling, middle-aged and older females. METHODS: General biochemistry and bone profiles, including ALP, PTH and 25(OH)D, were determined. RESULTS: Of 143 healthy white women receiving no supplementation or bone modifying treatments, 47% were vitamin D insufficient (<50 nmol/L) and only 4% were sufficient for the time of year. There was no statically significant correlation between age and 25(OH)D concentrations; neither was there a statistically significant seasonal variation in 25(OH)D levels noted. CONCLUSION: Vitamin D status should be assessed more often in middle-aged and older females. Expected age-related and seasonal variations in 25(OH)D levels were not confirmed in this study.
- Association of alkaline phosphatase with acute myocardial infarction in a population with high prevalence of hypovitaminosis D.
- Authors: Iqbal MP, Mehboobali N, Azam I, Tareen AK
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 21
- Vitamin D, parathyroid hormone levels and bone mineral density in community-dwelling older women: the Rancho Bernardo Study.
- Authors: von Mühlen DG, Greendale GA, Garland CF, Wan L, Barrett-Connor E
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- Vitamin D status 10 years after primary gastric bypass: gravely high prevalence of hypovitaminosis D and raised PTH levels.
- Authors: Karefylakis C, Näslund I, Edholm D, Sundbom M, Karlsson FA, Rask E
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Hypovitaminosis D and elevated serum alkaline phosphatase in elderly Irish people.
- Authors: McKenna MJ, Freaney R, Meade A, Muldowney FP
- Issue date: 1985 Jan
- Vitamin D insufficiency in a population of healthy western Canadians.
- Authors: Rucker D, Allan JA, Fick GH, Hanley DA
- Issue date: 2002 Jun 11