Early continuous video electroencephalography in neonatal stroke.
AffiliationNeonatal Brain Research Group, Cork University Maternity Hospital, Wilton, Cork, , Ireland. Bh.firstname.lastname@example.org
Intensive Care Units
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDev Med Child Neurol. 2011 Jan;53(1):89-92. doi:, 10.1111/j.1469-8749.2010.03837.x. Epub 2010 Nov 18.
JournalDevelopmental medicine and child neurology
AbstractPerinatal stroke is the second most common cause of neonatal seizures, and can result in long-term neurological impairment. Diagnosis is often delayed until after seizure onset, owing to the subtle nature of associated signs. We report the early electroencephalographic (EEG) findings in a female infant with a perinatal infarction, born at 41 weeks 2 days and weighing 3.42 kg. Before the onset of seizures, the EEG from 3 hours after delivery demonstrated occasional focal sharp waves over the affected region. After electroclinical seizures, focal sharp waves became more frequent, complex, and of higher amplitude, particularly in 'quiet sleep'. In 'active sleep', sharp waves often disappeared. Diffusion-weighted imaging confirmed the infarct, demonstrating left frontal and parietal diffusion restriction. At 9 months, the infant has had no further seizures, and neurological examination is normal. To our knowledge, this report is the first to describe the EEG findings in perinatal stroke before seizures, and highlights the evolution of characteristic background EEG features.
- Early postnatal EEG features of perinatal arterial ischaemic stroke with seizures.
- Authors: Low E, Mathieson SR, Stevenson NJ, Livingstone V, Ryan CA, Bogue CO, Rennie JM, Boylan GB
- Issue date: 2014
- Benign myoclonic epilepsy in infancy (BMEI): a longitudinal electroclinical study of 22 cases.
- Authors: Darra F, Fiorini E, Zoccante L, Mastella L, Torniero C, Cortese S, Meneghello L, Fontana E, Bernardina BD
- Issue date: 2006
- The visual scoring of sleep and arousal in infants and children.
- Authors: Grigg-Damberger M, Gozal D, Marcus CL, Quan SF, Rosen CL, Chervin RD, Wise M, Picchietti DL, Sheldon SH, Iber C
- Issue date: 2007 Mar 15
- [EEG and ischemic stroke in full-term newborns].
- Authors: Selton D, André M, Hascoët JM
- Issue date: 2003 Jun