Living with a diagnosis of non-small cell lung cancer: patients' lived experiences.
AffiliationTullamore General Hospital, Co.Offaly, Ireland.
Carcinoma, Non-Small-Cell Lung/diagnosis/*psychology
Quality of Life
MetadataShow full item record
CitationInt J Palliat Nurs. 2009 Dec;15(12):579-87.
JournalInternational journal of palliative nursing
AbstractThe aim of this study was to explore patients' experience of living with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Patients diagnosed with NSCLC know that their treatment is not with curative intent and can expect distressing symptoms. In this phenomenological study, six adults with a diagnosis of NSCLC were interviewed. Data was analysed guided by van Manen's six-step process. Four main themes were interpreted: 'Maintaining my life'; 'The enemy within'; 'Staying on the train', and 'I'm still me'. The study findings contribute to nurses' understanding of patients living with this distressing diagnosis, where treatment is palliative. Understanding these patients' experiences can help nurses to interact in a different way, and to maximize opportunities to care holistically for this group of patients and best meet their needs.
- The experience of a diagnosis of advanced lung cancer: sleep is not a priority when living my life.
- Authors: Dickerson SS, Sabbah EA, Ziegler P, Chen H, Steinbrenner LM, Dean G
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- Importance of quality of life in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Camps C, del Pozo N, Blasco A, Blasco P, Sirera R
- Issue date: 2009 Mar
- Receiving a diagnosis of inoperable lung cancer: patients' perspectives of how it affects their life situation and quality of life.
- Authors: Berterö C, Vanhanen M, Appelin G
- Issue date: 2008
- What do patients with brain metastases from non-small cell lung cancer want from their treatment?
- Authors: Dorman S, Hayes J, Pease N
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Lived experiences of everyday life during curative radiotherapy in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer: A phenomenological study.
- Authors: Petri S, Berthelsen CB
- Issue date: 2015