Compression fractures of the vertebrae during a "bumpy" boat ride.
AffiliationOrthopaedic Unit, Letterkenny General Hospital, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal,, Republic of Ireland. Chukwunyerenwa@yahoo.com
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2010 Sep;179(3):463-4. Epub 2009 Oct 17.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractINTRODUCTION: Compression fracture of the vertebrae is common, often the result of falls from height and motor vehicle accidents in the younger age groups. It can occur following minor trauma in the elderly and in those with osteoporosis. MATERIALS AND METHODS: We present an interesting case of compression fracture of the vertebral bodies occurring simultaneously in a couple during a boat ride while on holiday. One individual had fracture of the T8, while the other fractured the L1 vertebrae. Both injuries were treated conservatively with Taylor braces. CONCLUSION: We highlight one of the potential hazards of this recreational activity, and the almost identical fracture pattern in this couple.
- Reduction of the domino effect in osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures through short-segment fixation with intravertebral expandable pillars compared to percutaneous kyphoplasty: a case control study.
- Authors: Hsieh JY, Wu CD, Wang TM, Chen HY, Farn CJ, Chen PQ
- Issue date: 2013 Mar 2
- The speedboat vertebral fracture: a hazard of holiday watersports.
- Authors: Maempel JF, Maempel FZ
- Issue date: 2019 May
- New vertebral fracture after vertebroplasty.
- Authors: Lo YP, Chen WJ, Chen LH, Lai PL
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Biomechanical evaluation of kyphoplasty with calcium sulfate cement in a cadaveric osteoporotic vertebral compression fracture model.
- Authors: Perry A, Mahar A, Massie J, Arrieta N, Garfin S, Kim C
- Issue date: 2005 Sep-Oct
- Changing threshold for AIS scores of thoracolumbar compression fractures.
- Authors: Soliman HM, Nguyen HS, Banerjee A, Pintar F, Yoganandan N, Kurpad S, Maiman D
- Issue date: 2016 Sep