AffiliationKerry General Hospital, Tralee, Co Kerry. firstname.lastname@example.org
MeSHCommunity Health Services
Health Services Needs and Demand
Health Services for the Aged
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDo we need community geriatrics?, 102 (10):334-5 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractCommunity geriatrics has evolved as a specific aspect of geriatric medicine in the UK. In Ireland there is uncertainty as to how it should be planned. This is the first national survey of consultants, specialist registrars and general practitioners to seek their opinions. Most consultants and GPs reported already having a community aspect to their current practice, e.g. nursing home visits or community hospital visits, whereas most SpRs did not. Forty three of 62 respondents (69%) agreed that there is a need for community geriatricians and that there should be integration with hospital medicine. Fifty seven of 62 respondents (92%) felt that there would be a beneficial effect on GP services, though some expressed concern about work overlap. Thirteen of the 25 SpRs (52%) in training hoped to begin practice in community geriatrics in the future.
- Experiences and views of specialist registrars in geriatric medicine on 'do not attempt resuscitation' decisions: a sea of uncertainty?
- Authors: Myint PK, Miles S, Halliday DA, Bowker LK
- Issue date: 2006 Oct
- Community and social interventions at a geriatric medical OPD.
- Authors: Hin PY, Brennan J, O'Neill D
- Issue date: 2002 Sep
- A survey of job satisfaction, sources of stress and psychological symptoms among general practitioners in Leeds.
- Authors: Appleton K, House A, Dowell A
- Issue date: 1998 Mar
- Academic geriatrics in Singapore.
- Authors: Wong CH, Landefeld CS
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Caring for nursing home patients--a primary care perspective.
- Authors: Corroon-Sweeney E, Murphy C, Collins DR
- Issue date: 2009 Nov-Dec