Two-stage revision of infected hip arthroplasty using a shortened post-operative course of antibiotics.
AffiliationDepartment of Orthopaedic Surgery, Mid-Western Regional Orthopaedic Hospital, Croom, Ireland. email@example.com
Arthroplasty, Replacement, Hip
Length of Stay
MetadataShow full item record
CitationTwo-stage revision of infected hip arthroplasty using a shortened post-operative course of antibiotics. 2009, 129 (4):489-94 Arch Orthop Trauma Surg
JournalArchives of orthopaedic and trauma surgery
AbstractWe present a series of 30 consecutive patients with 31 infected total hip arthroplasties treated by a single surgeon over a 4-year period in whom a shortened post-operative course of antimicrobial chemotherapy was used.
The treatment protocol consisted of a two-stage exchange with removal of infected components, insertion of an interim antibiotic eluting cement spacer and re-implantation of an extensively coated uncemented prosthesis on the femoral side. Systemic antibiotic treatment following each stage consisted of an abridged course of 5 days post-operative intra-venous administration followed by complete cessation of anti-microbial therapy.
At a mean follow-up of 35 months (minimum 24 months), there were no cases of recurrent prosthetic infection and no patient had required revision for aseptic loosening or mechanical instability on the femoral side. The combination of effective-staged surgical joint debridement, a shortened post-operative course of systemic antibiotic treatment and an adequate latent period before re-implantation has led to encourage early results in this series of revised chronic hip joint prosthetic infections.
- [The second stage revision for infected total hip arthroplasty using antibiotic-loaded cement prosthesis].
- Authors: Wei W, Kou BL, Ju RS, Lü HS
- Issue date: 2007 Feb 15
- A comparison of gentamicin-impregnated polymethylmethacrylate bead implantation to conventional parenteral antibiotic therapy in infected total hip and knee arthroplasty.
- Authors: Nelson CL, Evans RP, Blaha JD, Calhoun J, Henry SL, Patzakis MJ
- Issue date: 1993 Oct
- Treatment of an infected total hip replacement with the PROSTALAC system. Part 1: Infection resolution.
- Authors: Scharfenberger A, Clark M, Lavoie G, O'Connor G, Masson E, Beaupre LA
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- Two-stage reconstruction of infected hip joints.
- Authors: Diwanji SR, Kong IK, Park YH, Cho SG, Song EK, Yoon TR
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- Cementless two-stage exchange arthroplasty for infection after total hip arthroplasty.
- Authors: Masri BA, Panagiotopoulos KP, Greidanus NV, Garbuz DS, Duncan CP
- Issue date: 2007 Jan