Use of the modified Stainsby procedure in correcting severe claw toe deformity in the rheumatoid foot: a retrospective review.
AffiliationDepartment of Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery, Mid-Western Regional Orthopaedic Hospital Croom, Limerick, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Foot Deformities, Acquired
MetadataShow full item record
CitationUse of the modified Stainsby procedure in correcting severe claw toe deformity in the rheumatoid foot: a retrospective review. 2009, 19 (2):110-3 Foot (Edinb)
JournalFoot (Edinburgh, Scotland)
AbstractIn claw toe deformity, the plantar plate of the metarsophalangeal joint becomes displaced onto the dorsal aspect of the metatarsal head. The Stainsby procedure replaces the displaced plantar plate to its correct position beneath the metatarsal head.
In this study we assess the efficacy of a modified Stainsby procedure for the treatment of claw toe deformity.
Thirteen patients were operated on between 2002 and 2008. Eleven patients (13 feet) were available for review with the average follow-up period being 16 months. Clinical examination was performed and AOFAS forefoot scores were measured.
All 13 (100%) of the feet operated on had severe or moderate pain preoperatively. None had significant pain at review. Plantar callosities were reduced from 13 (100%) feet preoperatively to 1 (9%) foot postoperatively. The AOFAS forefoot score in the eleven patients improved significantly by 40.7 points from a preoperative mean of 20.1 to a mean of 50.2 at review (p<0.001). Ten (91%) of the 11 patients were completely satisfied with the procedure, 1 patient was satisfied with some reservations.
This study demonstrates the modified Stainsby procedure to be effective in correcting claw toe deformity in the rheumatoid patient. It relieves pain, skin callosities and improves overall forefoot function.
- Outcomes after the Stainsby procedure in the lesser toes: an alternative procedure for the correction of rigid claw toe deformity.
- Authors: Dodd L, Atinga M, Foote J, Palmer S
- Issue date: 2011 Sep-Oct
- [Deformities of the forefoot in patients with rheumatoid arthritis--results of surgical treatment].
- Authors: Popelka S, Vavrík P, Pech J, Veigl D
- Issue date: 2003
- A novel modification of the Stainsby procedure: surgical technique and clinical outcome.
- Authors: Concannon E, MacNiocaill R, Flavin R, Kearns S
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Reconstructing the rheumatoid forefoot.
- Authors: van der Heide HJ, Louwerens JW
- Issue date: 2010 Sep
- Modified Chuinard-Baskin procedure for managing mild-to-moderate cavus and claw foot deformity in children and adolescents.
- Authors: Vlachou M, Beris A, Dimitriadis D
- Issue date: 2008 Jul-Aug