A comparison of antibiotic point prevalence survey data from four Irish regional/general hospitals.
AffiliationQuality, Audit and Risk Management Team, HSE-Dublin Mid Leinster, Midlands Regional Hospital Mullingar, Mullingar, Westhmeath, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Aged, 80 and over
MetadataShow full item record
CitationA comparison of antibiotic point prevalence survey data from four Irish regional/general hospitals. 2011, 180 (2):457-61 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractPoint prevalence surveys (PPS) are increasingly used to examining and compare hospital antibiotic consumption. The aim of this study was to identify the (1) point prevalence of antibiotic use in one regional hospital and (2) compare PPS data from similar regional/general hospitals.
Data were collected on all inpatients with an active antibiotic prescription and on all prescriptions issued in the emergency department over a 24-h period. Point prevalence data were obtained from three other regional/general hospitals.
The frequency of antibiotic use was hospital A = 29%, B = 38%, C = 34% and D = 37%. Overall, the most commonly prescribed antibiotic was co-amoxiclav (30%), followed by macrolides (12%). However, new generation broad-spectrum antibiotics, such as piperacillin/tazobactam or ciprofloxacin, were also commonly used. Prescribing for common conditions such as respiratory infection or cellulites showed diverse antibiotic selection.
Point prevalence survey data using a standardised methodology could facilitate both local audit and national benchmarking to monitor antibiotic use.
- Using a simple point-prevalence survey to define appropriate antibiotic prescribing in hospitalised children across the UK.
- Authors: Gharbi M, Doerholt K, Vergnano S, Bielicki JA, Paulus S, Menson E, Riordan A, Lyall H, Patel SV, Bernatoniene J, Versporten A, Heginbothom M, Goossens H, Sharland M, ARPEC project Group members.
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 3
- Point prevalence survey of antibiotic use in 26 Saudi hospitals in 2016.
- Authors: Al Matar M, Enani M, Binsaleh G, Roushdy H, Alokaili D, Al Bannai A, Khidir Y, Al-Abdely H
- Issue date: 2019 Jan - Feb
- A multicenter point-prevalence survey of antibiotic use in 13 Chinese hospitals.
- Authors: Xie DS, Xiang LL, Li R, Hu Q, Luo QQ, Xiong W
- Issue date: 2015 Jan-Feb
- The 2017 global point prevalence survey of antimicrobial consumption and resistance in Canadian hospitals.
- Authors: Frenette C, Sperlea D, German GJ, Afra K, Boswell J, Chang S, Goossens H, Grant J, Lefebvre MA, McGeer A, Mertz D, Science M, Versporten A, Thirion DJG
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 11
- Antibiotic use in Vietnamese hospitals: a multicenter point-prevalence study.
- Authors: Thu TA, Rahman M, Coffin S, Harun-Or-Rashid M, Sakamoto J, Hung NV
- Issue date: 2012 Nov