What diagnoses may make patients more seriously ill than they first appear? Mortality according to the Simple Clinical Score Risk Class at the time of admission compared to the observed mortality of different ICD9 codes identified on death or discharge.
AffiliationDepartment of Medicine, Nenagh Hospital, Nenagh, County Tipperary, Ireland. email@example.com
Aged, 80 and over
International Classification of Diseases
Length of Stay
Severity of Illness Index
MetadataShow full item record
CitationWhat diagnoses may make patients more seriously ill than they first appear? Mortality according to the Simple Clinical Score Risk Class at the time of admission compared to the observed mortality of different ICD9 codes identified on death or discharge. 2009, 20 (1):89-93 Eur. J. Intern. Med.
JournalEuropean journal of internal medicine
AbstractThe Simple Clinical Score (SCS) determined at the time of admission identifies patients at very low risk of death regardless of what diagnoses are subsequently made during their hospitalisation. Nevertheless, patients with a very low risk of death according to their SCS risk class may still have a life-threatening condition that requires treatment in hospital. For higher risk patients only 14 ICD9 code groupings were associated with an observed mortality greater than that of others in the same SCS risk group.
- Who will be sicker in the morning? Changes in the Simple Clinical Score the day after admission and the subsequent outcomes of acutely ill unselected medical patients.
- Authors: Kellett J, Emmanuel A, Deane B
- Issue date: 2011 Aug
- Derivation and validation of a score based on Hypotension, Oxygen saturation, low Temperature, ECG changes and Loss of independence (HOTEL) that predicts early mortality between 15 min and 24 h after admission to an acute medical unit.
- Authors: Kellett J, Deane B, Gleeson M
- Issue date: 2008 Jul
- Collaborative Audit of Risk Evaluation in Medical Emergency Treatment (CARE-MET I) - an international pilot.
- Authors: Subbe CP, Gauntlett W, Kellett JG
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Assessing the need for hospital admission by the Cape Triage discriminator presentations and the simple clinical score.
- Authors: Emmanuel A, Ismail A, Kellett J
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- The diagnoses and co-morbidity encountered in the hospital practice of acute internal medicine.
- Authors: Kellett J, Deane B
- Issue date: 2007 Oct