Bilateral adrenal haemorrhage secondary to intra-abdominal sepsis: a case report.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Mayo General Hospital, Castlebar, Co. Mayo, Ireland and, 2Department of Radiology, Mayo General Hospital,Castlebar, Co. Mayo, Ireland., email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCases J. 2009 Jun 9;2:6894.
AbstractINTRODUCTION: Bilateral adrenal haemorrhage is a rare cause of adrenal failure. Clinical features are non-specific and therefore a high index of suspicion must be maintained in patients at risk. Predisposing factors include infection, malignancy and the post-operative state. CASE PRESENTATION: We report the case of a patient who underwent a left hemicolectomy with primary anastomosis and formation of a defunctioning loop ileostomy for an obstructing colon carcinoma at the splenic flexure. En-bloc splenectomy was performed to ensure an oncologic resection. The patient developed a purulent abdominal collection post-operatively and became septic with hypotension and pyrexia. This precipitated acute bilateral adrenal haemorrhage with consequent adrenal insufficiency. Clinical suspicion was confirmed by radiological findings and a co-syntropin test. Following drainage of the collection, antibiotic therapy and corticosteroid replacement, the patient made an excellent recovery. CONCLUSION: This case highlights the importance of prompt diagnosis and treatment of adrenal failure. In their absence, this condition can rapidly lead to death of the patient.
- Post-operative bilateral adrenal haemorrhage: A case report.
- Authors: McNicol RE, Bradley A, Griffin J, Duncan G, Eriksen CA, Guthrie GJ
- Issue date: 2014
- Adrenal Insufficiency Secondary to Bilateral Adrenal Hemorrhage: A Case Report.
- Authors: Bashari WA, Myint YMM, Win ML, Oyibo SO
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 13
- Bilateral adrenal hemorrhage after colectomy for perforated diverticulitis: A case report.
- Authors: Esparza Monzavi CA, Hamed A, Nordenstam J, Gantt G Jr
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- Bilateral adrenal haemorrhage and acute adrenal insufficiency in a blunt abdominal trauma: a case-report and literature review.
- Authors: Francque SM, Schwagten VM, Ysebaert DK, Van Marck EA, Beaucourt LA
- Issue date: 2004 Jun
- Adrenal crisis secondary to bilateral adrenal haemorrhage after hemicolectomy.
- Authors: Logaraj A, Tsang VH, Kabir S, Ip JC
- Issue date: 2016