Screening for developmental dysplasia of the hip: current practices in Ireland.
AffiliationDepartment of Paediatrics, Mayo General Hospital, Castlebar, Co, Mayo, Republic, of Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Health Care Surveys/statistics & numerical data
Hip Dislocation, Congenital/*diagnosis/pathology/radiography/ultrasonography
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2010 Jun;179(2):279-83. Epub 2009 May 2.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractOBJECTIVE: To ascertain the current approach to screen for developmental dysplasia of the hip in the Republic of Ireland. METHODS: Two-pronged prospective and retrospective study. (1) Postal questionnaire to consultant paediatricians responsible for the routine neonatal care of infants in the Irish Republic in June 2006. (2) Retrospective database review to identify infants undergoing radiological follow-up and their outcome. RESULTS: All maternity units surveyed responded. Most units (84%) were dependent on radiographs at 4-6 months for imaging hips, only two units primarily used ultrasound (10.5%). We estimate that neonatal hip examination is performed by an experienced examiner in less than 30% of routine newborn examinations. On retrospective analysis, 94% of radiographs performed were normal. CONCLUSIONS: The most effective interventions, selective ultrasound and examination by an experienced clinician are not widely practiced. There is a need for the development of national guidelines based on available resources.
- A national survey of screening for congenital dislocation of the hip.
- Authors: Dezateux C, Godward S
- Issue date: 1996 May
- Disparity between Clinical and Ultrasound Examinations in Neonatal Hip Screening.
- Authors: Kyung BS, Lee SH, Jeong WK, Park SY
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- To screen or not to screen? A decision analysis of the utility of screening for developmental dysplasia of the hip.
- Authors: Mahan ST, Katz JN, Kim YJ
- Issue date: 2009 Jul
- Cochrane Review: Screening programmes for developmental dysplasia of the hip in newborn infants.
- Authors: Shorter D, Hong T, Osborn DA
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- [Graf's ultrasound examination method in assessment of dysplasia and congenital dislocation of infant hip].
- Authors: Bai X, Ji S, Fan G, Yuan Y
- Issue date: 2000 Dec