Comparison of complications in transtrochanteric and anterolateral approaches in primary total hip arthroplasty.
AffiliationDepartment Of Orthopedics, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland.
Aged, 80 and over
Arthroplasty, Replacement, Hip
Femur Head Necrosis
Range of Motion, Articular
MetadataShow full item record
CitationComparison of complications in transtrochanteric and anterolateral approaches in primary total hip arthroplasty. 2008, 31 (11):1085 Orthopedics
AbstractThree surgical approaches to primary total hip arthroplasty (THA) have been in use since Charnley popularized the transtrochanteric approach. This study was designed to examine the difference in morbidity between the transtrochanteric approach and the anterolateral approach in primary THA. Information on 891 patients who underwent primary THA performed by a single surgeon was collected prospectively between 1998 and 2003 using a modified SF-36 form, preoperatively, intraoperatively, and at 3 months postoperatively. The transtrochanteric group had higher morbidity and more patients who were dissatisfied with their THA. There was a greater range of motion in the anterolateral group.
- A comparison of total hip resurfacing and total hip arthroplasty - patients and outcomes.
- Authors: Fowble VA, dela Rosa MA, Schmalzried TP
- Issue date: 2009
- Resurfacing matched to standard total hip arthroplasty by preoperative activity levels - a comparison of postoperative outcomes.
- Authors: Zywiel MG, Marker DR, McGrath MS, Delanois RE, Mont MA
- Issue date: 2009
- Total hip arthroplasty after failed transtrochanteric rotational osteotomy for avascular necrosis of the femoral head.
- Authors: Kawasaki M, Hasegawa Y, Sakano S, Masui T, Ishiguro N
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Anterolateral muscle sparing approach total hip arthroplasty: an anatomic and clinical study.
- Authors: Zhang XL, Shen H, Qin XL, Wang Q
- Issue date: 2008 Aug 5
- A comparison between robotic-assisted and manual implantation of cementless total hip arthroplasty.
- Authors: Nakamura N, Sugano N, Nishii T, Kakimoto A, Miki H
- Issue date: 2010 Apr