AffiliationDepartment of Paediatrics and Child Health, Cork University Hospital, Ireland.
Quality of Life
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDevelopmental trajectories in food allergy: a review. 2009, 56:65-100 Adv. Food Nutr. Res.
JournalAdvances in food and nutrition research
AbstractIncreasing recognition of the importance of the relationships between perceptions, emotions, behaviors and health has changed the way health and disease are portrayed and researched. A chronic condition may affect and/or interact with already existing normative demands and changes in socialization. Although the prevalence of food allergy and anaphylaxis have been reportedly increasing, the emotional and social impact of growing up with food allergy has received little emphasis. In this paper, we present current findings on the biopsychosocial impact of food allergy on children in order to gain insight into the food allergy experience, from the perspective of the child, teen, and parent living with food allergy, with particular attention to developmental aspects. Due to the scarcity of publications on the psychosocial dimensions of food allergy, we also draw on selected literature on children's and parent's experience of, and coping with chronic disease that may inform research into food allergy. To this end, we review some general developmental mechanisms that may underpin and explain normative age-graded shifts in patterns of coping across childhood and adolescence. We also highlight gaps in the literature and assess implications of current research in food allergy and other chronic diseases for intervention and prevention of negative short and long term outcomes.
- Development of a preliminary questionnaire to assess parental response to children's food allergies.
- Authors: Lebovidge JS, Stone KD, Twarog FJ, Raiselis SW, Kalish LA, Bailey EP, Schneider LC
- Issue date: 2006 Mar
- Family pediatrics: report of the Task Force on the Family.
- Authors: Schor EL, American Academy of Pediatrics Task Force on the Family.
- Issue date: 2003 Jun
- Health-related quality of life among adolescents with allergy-like conditions - with emphasis on food hypersensitivity.
- Authors: Marklund B, Ahlstedt S, Nordström G
- Issue date: 2004 Nov 19
- The health and well-being of caregivers of children with cerebral palsy.
- Authors: Raina P, O'Donnell M, Rosenbaum P, Brehaut J, Walter SD, Russell D, Swinton M, Zhu B, Wood E
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- The psychosocial impact of life-threatening childhood food allergies.
- Authors: Broome-Stone SB
- Issue date: 2012 Nov-Dec