AffiliationCork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork. email@example.com
Intensive Care Units
Intensive Care Units, Pediatric
MetadataShow full item record
CitationInter-hospital transport of critically ill children. 2009, 102 (9):288-90 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractMost Irish paediatric tertiary care services are centralised in Dublin. Many children are transferred there each year from regional paediatric units around the country. We aimed to quantify and describe all children transferred from one regional tertiary hospital over a two year period. Seventy three out of 75 identified transfers were examined. Sixty nine transfers (94.5%) were sent to the major tertiary centre. Fifteen (20.5%) required intensive care services for transfer. Seventeen seriously ill neonates required transfer, however only 4 (23.5%) of those met both the criteria for and the availability of the National Neonatal Transfer Team (NNTT). Significant events during transfer were only documented in 3 cases. Most transfers arrived in Dublin outside normal working hours. Standards of documentation were found to be very inconsistent. In conclusion, a national transport service for all critically ill children is urgently needed in Ireland.
- Audit of Mobile Intensive Care Ambulance Service.
- Authors: Rohan D, Dwyer R, Costello J, Phelan D
- Issue date: 2006 Mar
- Transportation of critically ill patient to Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Siriraj Hospital.
- Authors: Limprayoon K, Sonjaipanich S, Susiva C
- Issue date: 2005 Nov
- Pretransport Pediatric Risk of Mortality (PRISM) score underestimates the requirement for intensive care or major interventions during interhospital transport.
- Authors: Orr RA, Venkataraman ST, Cinoman MI, Hogue BL, Singleton CA, McCloskey KA
- Issue date: 1994 Jan
- Outcome of children with different accessibility to tertiary pediatric intensive care in a developing country--a prospective cohort study.
- Authors: Goh AY, Abdel-Latif Mel-A, Lum LC, Abu-Bakar MN
- Issue date: 2003 Jan
- Intrahospital transport of critically ill pediatric patients.
- Authors: Wallen E, Venkataraman ST, Grosso MJ, Kiene K, Orr RA
- Issue date: 1995 Sep