A descriptive study on emergency department doctors' and nurses' knowledge and attitudes concerning substance use and substance users.
AffiliationSchool of Nursing and Midwifery, Brookfield Health Sciences Complex, University College Cork, Ireland. email@example.com
Attitude of Health Personnel
Emergency Service, Hospital
Health Knowledge, Attitudes, Practice
Health Services Needs and Demand
Medical Staff, Hospital
Nursing Methodology Research
Nursing Staff, Hospital
Practice Guidelines as Topic
MetadataShow full item record
CitationA descriptive study on emergency department doctors' and nurses' knowledge and attitudes concerning substance use and substance users. 2009, 17 (1):3-14 Int Emerg Nurs
JournalInternational emergency nursing
AbstractThe aim of this study was to determine emergency department doctors' and nurses' knowledge and attitudes regarding problematic substance use and substance users.
Data were collected using an adapted survey questionnaire and the Substance Abuse Attitude Survey (SAAS). By means of convenience/opportunistic sampling all emergency department doctors and nurses (N=145) working in three university teaching hospitals in Ireland were asked to fill out the knowledge and attitudes questionnaire.
A response rate of 46%, N=66 was achieved. Results indicate that participants' current level of knowledge about alcohol and drug misuse in general, is satisfactory. A particular knowledge deficit in relation to intervention strategies, and other substances was identified. The majority of participants have never received any specific training regarding substance use and this suggests that substance using patients are managed inadequately. The SAAS results indicate that participants exhibited near-optimal attitudes for constructive working with substance using patients.
There is an urgent need for further in-service training programmes and the development of standard protocols/guidelines for the identification and management of substance using patients who present in the emergency department.
- Health care professionals' knowledge and attitudes regarding substance use and substance users.
- Authors: Kelleher S
- Issue date: 2007 Jul
- An examination of emergency department nurses' attitudes towards deliberate self-harm in an Irish teaching hospital.
- Authors: McCarthy L, Gijbels H
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- Attitudes and beliefs of emergency department staff regarding alcohol-related presentations.
- Authors: Indig D, Copeland J, Conigrave KM, Rotenko I
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- Caring for older patients at an emergency department -- emergency nurses' reasoning.
- Authors: Kihlgren AL, Nilsson M, Sørlie V
- Issue date: 2005 May
- Deliberate self-harm: emergency department nurses' attitudes, triage and care intentions.
- Authors: McCann TV, Clark E, McConnachie S, Harvey I
- Issue date: 2007 Sep