Sun exposure and sun protection practices of children and their parents.
AffiliationUniversity College Cork Department of Paediatrics, Cork University Hospital, Cork. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSun exposure and sun protection practices of children and their parents. 2009, 102 (5):139-40, 142-3 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThe primary aims of this study were: to estimate sun exposure in hours of children in Cork during the summer months; to examine sun protection measures used by children and their parents and to explore parental knowledge of sun exposure and protection. A cross-sectional study, using a semi-structured questionnaire, was conducted in June 2006 in primary schools, pre-schools and creches throughout Cork City and County. Parents of 250 children aged less than 12 years were sampled. Mean sun exposure of Cork children was 40.9 hours per week in the summer months, with 77 (46.1%) children developing sunburn. 59.3% of the studied children were of skin type 1 or 2. 95 (57%) children on weekdays and 137 (82%) children at weekends were exposed to the sun between 11 am and 3 pm. Sunscreen and hats/caps were the most common protection measures used. A minority used protective clothing, sunglasses or sought shade. Thirty one (30.5%) children had sunscreen reapplied every 2 hours. Knowledge of sun protection was considerable among Irish parents. However the frequency of sunburn among Irish children suggests we are not providing them with adequate sun protection.
- Summer sun exposure: knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors of Midwest adolescents.
- Authors: Robinson JK, Rademaker AW, Sylvester JA, Cook B
- Issue date: 1997 May-Jun
- Sun exposure behaviour among subgroups of the Danish population. Based on personal electronic UVR dosimetry and corresponding exposure diaries.
- Authors: Thieden E
- Issue date: 2008 Feb
- Certification of sun protection practices in a German child day-care centre improves children's sun protection--the 'SunPass' pilot study.
- Authors: Aulbert W, Parpart C, Schulz-Hornbostel R, Hinrichs B, Krüger-Corcoran D, Stockfleth E
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Sun protection in Singapore's schools.
- Authors: Nyiri P
- Issue date: 2005 Sep
- Sunburns, sun protection and indoor tanning behaviors, and attitudes regarding sun protection benefits and tan appeal among parents of U.S. adolescents-1998 compared to 2004.
- Authors: Bandi P, Cokkinides VE, Weinstock MA, Ward E
- Issue date: 2010 Jan-Feb