AffiliationDepartment of Geriatric Medicine, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Combined Modality Therapy
Health Services for the Aged
Predictive Value of Tests
MetadataShow full item record
CitationConstipation in old age. 2009, 23 (6):875-87 Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol
JournalBest practice & research. Clinical gastroenterology
AbstractThe prevalence of constipation increases with age. However, constipation is not a physiological consequence of normal ageing. Indeed, the aetiology of constipation in older people is often multifactorial with co-morbid diseases, impaired mobility, reduced dietary fibre intake and prescription medications contributing significantly to constipation in many instances. A detailed clinical history and physical examination including digital rectal examination is usually sufficient to uncover the causes of constipation in older people; more specialized tests of anorectal physiology and colonic transit are rarely required. The scientific evidence base from which to develop specific treatment recommendations for constipation in older people is, for the most part, slim. Constipation can be complicated by faecal impaction and incontinence, particularly in frail older people with reduced mobility and cognitive impairment; preventative strategies are important in those at risk.
- General geriatrics and gastroenterology: constipation and faecal incontinence.
- Authors: Müller-Lissner S
- Issue date: 2002 Feb
- No role for increased rectal compliance in pediatric functional constipation.
- Authors: van den Berg MM, Bongers ME, Voskuijl WP, Benninga MA
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Functional bowel disorders in the geriatric patient: constipation, fecal impaction, and fecal incontinence.
- Authors: De Lillo AR, Rose S
- Issue date: 2000 Apr
- Constipation and fecal incontinence in the elderly.
- Authors: Wald A
- Issue date: 1990 Jun
- [Defecation problems: incontinence, constipation and impeded defecation; why and what can be done?].
- Authors: Buchmann P, Rechsteiner M, Jacobs P
- Issue date: 1997 Apr