A colonic splenic flexure tumour presenting as an empyema thoracis: a case report.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationA colonic splenic flexure tumour presenting as an empyema thoracis: a case report. 2009, 3:9 J Med Case Reports
JournalJournal of medical case reports
AbstractThe case report describes the rare presentation of a 79-year-old patient with a locally perforated splenic flexure tumour of the colon presenting with an apparent empyema thoracis in the absence of abdominal signs or symptoms.
Initial presentation was with a non-productive cough, anorexia and general malaise. An admission chest X-ray and subsequent computed tomographic image of the thorax showed a loculated pleural effusion consistent with an empyema. The computed tomography also showed a thickened splenic flexure. Thoracotomy was performed and a defect in the diaphragm was revealed after the abscess had been evacuated. A laparotomy was carried out at which point a tumour of the splenic flexure of the colon was found to be invading the spleen and locally perforated with subsequent collection in communication with the thorax. The tumour and spleen were resected and a transverse end colostomy was fashioned.
One must consider the diagnosis of pathology inferior to the diaphragm when an apparent empyema thoracis is encountered even in the absence of clinical signs or symptoms.
- [Colopleural fistula complicating laparotomy for perforated gastric ulcer].
- Authors: Podlasek R, Małek Z, Małek P
- Issue date: 2011
- Splenic abscess complicated by pleural empyema: A rare case report from rural Nepal.
- Authors: Baral S, Chhetri RK, Gyawali M, Thapa N
- Issue date: 2020
- Co-existence of posttraumatic empyema thoracis and lung abscess in a child after blunt chest trauma: a case report.
- Authors: Kuo CH, Chen IC, Lin SS, Shih MC, Wu JR, Dai ZK, Chao MC
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- Splenic abscess owing to cancer at the splenic flexure: A case report and comprehensive review.
- Authors: Awotar GK, Luo F, Zhao Z, Guan G, Ning S, Ren J, Liu Y, Wang G, Liu P
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Splenic flexure volvulus presenting with gangrene.
- Authors: Machado NO, Chopra PJ, Subramanian SK
- Issue date: 2009 May