AffiliationDivision of Paediatrics, Cork University Hospital, Wilton Road, Wilton, Cork, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBCG protects toddlers during a tuberculosis outbreak. 2009, 94 (5):392-3 Arch. Dis. Child.
JournalArchives of disease in childhood
AbstractIn 2007, an outbreak of tuberculosis occurred in a toddler population attending two child care centres in Cork, Ireland. Of 268 children exposed, 18 were eventually diagnosed with active tuberculosis. We present the initial clinical and radiographic characteristics of the active disease group. Mantoux testing was positive in only 66% of cases. All cases were either pulmonary or involved hilar adenopathy on chest radiograph; there were no cases of disseminated disease or meningitis. 24% of the exposed children had been previously vaccinated with BCG, and no case of active disease was found in this group (p = 0.016), suggesting a profound protective effect of BCG in this population. Our experience provides evidence supporting a protective effect of BCG against pulmonary disease in young children.
- Isoniazid resistant tuberculosis in a school outbreak: the protective effect of BCG.
- Authors: Shannon A, Kelly P, Lucey M, Cooney M, Corcoran P, Clancy L
- Issue date: 1991 Jul
- Protective effect of Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) vaccination in children with extra-pulmonary tuberculosis, but not the pulmonary disease. A case-control study in Rosario, Argentina.
- Authors: Bonifachich E, Chort M, Astigarraga A, Diaz N, Brunet B, Pezzotto SM, Bottasso O
- Issue date: 2006 Apr 5
- Pediatric tuberculosis in Alberta First Nations (1991-2000): outbreaks and the protective effect of bacille Calmette-Guérin (BCG) vaccine.
- Authors: Long R, Whittaker D, Russell K, Kunimoto D, Reid R, Fanning A, Nobert E, Melenka L, Yacoub W, Bhargava R
- Issue date: 2004 Jul-Aug
- Action against vaccine-preventable infectious diseases and tuberculosis in Nomad Camps: the experience of a Local Health Unit in Rome.
- Authors: Spadea A, Semyonov L, Unim B, Giraldi G, Corda B, D'Amici AM, Ercole A, Boccia A, La Torre G
- Issue date: 2014 Mar-Apr
- Potential of Mw as a prophylactic vaccine against pulmonary tuberculosis.
- Authors: Katoch K, Singh P, Adhikari T, Benara SK, Singh HB, Chauhan DS, Sharma VD, Lavania M, Sachan AS, Katoch VM
- Issue date: 2008 Feb 26