Usage of emergency contraception between medical related and non-medical related students.
AffiliationCork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork. firstname.lastname@example.org
Health Knowledge, Attitudes, Practice
MetadataShow full item record
CitationUsage of emergency contraception between medical related and non-medical related students. 2009, 102 (4):104-8 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractTeenagers and young adultshave the most risk of unplanned pregnancy, due to lack of awareness to see a family planning provider after unprotected sexual intercourse. In addition, nearly one in five physicians is reluctant to provide information regarding Emergency Contraception (EC) to women and this may contribute to their lack of awareness. This study was conducted to assess the knowledge, attitudes and practices regarding the use of EC between medical related students compared to non-medical related students. Data collection was done using questionnaires distributed among students in University College Cork (UCC). 93% of medically related students were aware of EC compared to only 73.5% of non-medically related students. Medical related students also were more aware about the mechanism of action and detailed knowledge of EC compared to the non-medical students. This study has proven that medically related students have more detailed knowledge regarding EC compared to non-medical related students. However, there was no significant difference noted regarding the attitude and practice between the two groups.
- [Emergency contraception knowledge among students in Medical University of Plovdiv].
- Authors: Pekhlivanov B, Malinova M, Dimitrakova E
- Issue date: 2008
- Emergency contraception: knowledge and practice of Gondar University students, northwest Ethiopia.
- Authors: Kebede Y
- Issue date: 2006 Jul
- Emergency contraception: knowledge and perceptions in a university population.
- Authors: Corbett PO, Mitchell CP, Taylor JS, Kemppainen J
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- Emergency contraception and fertility awareness among university students in Kampala, Uganda.
- Authors: Byamugisha JK, Mirembe FM, Faxelid E, Gemzell-Danielsson K
- Issue date: 2006 Dec
- Who is using emergency contraception? Awareness and use of emergency contraception among California women and teens.
- Authors: Baldwin SB, Solorio R, Washington DL, Yu H, Huang YC, Brown ER
- Issue date: 2008 Sep-Oct