Use of a new silver barrier dressing, ALLEVYN Ag in exuding chronic wounds.
AffiliationE T Consultant Services Inc., Asheville, NC, USA.
Anti-Infective Agents, Local
Exudates and Transudates
MetadataShow full item record
CitationUse of a new silver barrier dressing, ALLEVYN Ag in exuding chronic wounds. 2009, 6 (3):186-94 Int Wound J
JournalInternational wound journal
AbstractRecognising and managing wounds at risk of infection is vital in wound management. ALLEVYN Ag dressings have been designed to manage exudate in chronic wounds that are at risk of infection; are displaying signs of local infection; or where a suspected increase in bacterial colonisation is delaying healing. They combine an absorbent silver sulfadiazine containing hydrocellular foam layer, with a perforated wound contact layer and highly breathable top film. The results presented are from a multi-centre clinical evaluation of 126 patients conducted to assess the performance of ALLEVYN Ag (Adhesive, Non Adhesive and Sacrum dressings) in a range of indications. Clinicians rated the dressings as acceptable for use in various wound types in 88% of patients. The majority of clinical signs of infection reduced between the initial and the final assessment. The condition of wound tissue and surrounding skin was observed to improve, and there was significant evidence of a reduction in the level of exudate from initial to final assessment (p < 0.001). Clinicians rated ALLEVYN Ag as satisfying or exceeding expectations in over 90% of patients. The evaluation showed the dressings to offer real benefits to patients and clinicians across multiple indications when used in conjunction with local protocols.
- The silver-releasing foam dressing, Contreet Foam, promotes faster healing of critically colonised venous leg ulcers: a randomised, controlled trial.
- Authors: Jørgensen B, Price P, Andersen KE, Gottrup F, Bech-Thomsen N, Scanlon E, Kirsner R, Rheinen H, Roed-Petersen J, Romanelli M, Jemec G, Leaper DJ, Neumann MH, Veraart J, Coerper S, Agerslev RH, Bendz SH, Larsen JR, Sibbald RG
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- An observational study of the use of a soft silicone silver dressing on a variety of wound types.
- Authors: Meuleneire F
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Clinical effectiveness of alginate silver dressing in outpatient management of partial-thickness burns.
- Authors: Opasanon S, Muangman P, Namviriyachote N
- Issue date: 2010 Dec
- A real-life clinical evaluation of a next-generation antimicrobial dressing on acute and chronic wounds.
- Authors: Walker M, Metcalf D, Parsons D, Bowler P
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Gentle foam dressings: interim results of an evaluation of the Allevyn range.
- Authors: Grothier L
- Issue date: 2009 Jun 11-24