Multinational evidence-based recommendations for the use of methotrexate in rheumatic disorders with a focus on rheumatoid arthritis: integrating systematic literature research and expert opinion of a broad international panel of rheumatologists in the 3E Initiative.
Martinez-Lopez, J A
van der Heijde, D
Bijlsma, J W J
Boumpas, D T
Edwards, C J
Kvien, T K
Leeb, B F
Martín-Mola, E M
Pereira, I A
AffiliationLeiden University Medical Center, Department of Rheumatology, Leiden, The Netherlands. email@example.com
Drug Therapy, Combination
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMultinational evidence-based recommendations for the use of methotrexate in rheumatic disorders with a focus on rheumatoid arthritis: integrating systematic literature research and expert opinion of a broad international panel of rheumatologists in the 3E Initiative. 2009, 68 (7):1086-93 Ann. Rheum. Dis.
PublisherBMJ Publishing Group Ltd
JournalAnnals of the rheumatic diseases
AbstractTo develop evidence-based recommendations for the use of methotrexate in daily clinical practice in rheumatic disorders.
751 rheumatologists from 17 countries participated in the 3E (Evidence, Expertise, Exchange) Initiative of 2007-8 consisting of three separate rounds of discussions and Delphi votes. Ten clinical questions concerning the use of methotrexate in rheumatic disorders were formulated. A systematic literature search in Medline, Embase, Cochrane Library and 2005-7 American College of Rheumatology/European League Against Rheumatism meeting abstracts was conducted. Selected articles were systematically reviewed and the evidence was appraised according to the Oxford levels of evidence. Each country elaborated a set of national recommendations. Finally, multinational recommendations were formulated and agreement among the participants and the potential impact on their clinical practice was assessed.
A total of 16 979 references was identified, of which 304 articles were included in the systematic reviews. Ten multinational key recommendations on the use of methotrexate were formulated. Nine recommendations were specific for rheumatoid arthritis (RA), including the work-up before initiating methotrexate, optimal dosage and route, use of folic acid, monitoring, management of hepatotoxicity, long-term safety, mono versus combination therapy and management in the perioperative period and before/during pregnancy. One recommendation concerned methotrexate as a steroid-sparing agent in other rheumatic diseases.
Ten recommendations for the use of methotrexate in daily clinical practice focussed on RA were developed, which are evidence based and supported by a large panel of rheumatologists, enhancing their validity and practical use.
- [Portuguese recommendations for the use of methotrexate in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis].
- Authors: Canhão H, Santos MJ, Costa L, Bogas M, Mourão AF, Machado P, Fonseca JE, Silva JA, Multinational 3E Initiative.
- Issue date: 2009 Jan-Mar
- [Italian consensus on the recommendations about the use of methotrexate for the treatment of rheumatic diseases with a focus on rheumatoid arthritis: results from the "3E initiative"].
- Authors: De Leonardis F, Alivernini S, Bonacci E, Buono AM, Bombardieri S, Ferraccioli GF, Montecucco C, Sinigaglia L, Trotta F, Valentini G
- Issue date: 2010 Jan-Mar
- Multinational evidence-based recommendations on how to investigate and follow-up undifferentiated peripheral inflammatory arthritis: integrating systematic literature research and expert opinion of a broad international panel of rheumatologists in the 3E Initiative.
- Authors: Machado P, Castrejon I, Katchamart W, Koevoets R, Kuriya B, Schoels M, Silva-Fernández L, Thevissen K, Vercoutere W, Villeneuve E, Aletaha D, Carmona L, Landewé R, van der Heijde D, Bijlsma JW, Bykerk V, Canhão H, Catrina AI, Durez P, Edwards CJ, Mjaavatten MD, Leeb BF, Losada B, Martín-Mola EM, Martinez-Osuna P, Montecucco C, Müller-Ladner U, Østergaard M, Sheane B, Xavier RM, Zochling J, Bombardier C
- Issue date: 2011 Jan
- Recommendations for the use of parenteral methotrexate in rheumatic diseases.
- Authors: Tornero Molina J, Calvo Alen J, Ballina J, Belmonte MÁ, Blanco FJ, Caracuel MÁ, Carbonell J, Corominas H, Chamizo E, Hidalgo C, Ivorra JR, Marenco JL, Moreno Muelas JV, Muñoz-Fernández S, Nolla JM, Pérez T, Sanmarti R, Trenor P, Urrego C, Vidal J, Rosas Gomez de Salazar J
- Issue date: 2018 May - Jun
- Evidence-based recommendations for treatment with methotrexate in rheumatic disorders.
- Authors: Madsen OR, Faurschou M, Loft AG, Sørensen IJ, Knudsen JB, Baslund B, Hansen A, Hansen MS, Østergaard M
- Issue date: 2010 Oct