AffiliationDepartment of Neurophysiology, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork. firstname.lastname@example.org
Referral and Consultation
MetadataShow full item record
CitationHow to work up a patient with polyneuropathy? 2009, 102 (1):21-3 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractUndiagnosed and untreated neuropathy may lead to disability and poor quality of life. Ordering every possible test to find the cause of polyneuropathy can waste time and resources. In this study, we investigated what could be used as a routine neuropathy screen. A retrospective audit of all charts of patients diagnosed to have polyneuropathy by nerve conduction studies from November 2001 to November 2002 were carried out. Demographics, background history, type of neuropathy and investigations done were documented. The charts of 61 patients were audited. 12 patients had a background history of diabetes mellitus. 2 patients had history of alcohol abuse. 23 patients presented with paraesthesia and 33 with weakness of limbs. We found a cause of polyneuropathy in 79% of cases. In most patients with polyneuropathy where a cause can be identified, this can be achieved by the medical history, neurological examination, nerve conduction studies and the baseline blood tests. We suggest a 3-step approach to the diagnostic workup of polyneuropathy.
- The Italian multicentre study on the prevalence of distal symmetric polyneuropathy: correlation between clinical variables and nerve conduction parameters. Italian Diabetic Neuropathy Committee.
- Authors: Comi G, Fedele D, Coscelli C, Cucinotta D, Feldman EL, Ghirlanda G, Negrin P, Santeusanio F, Maderna L
- Issue date: 1999
- Validation of a novel point-of-care nerve conduction device for the detection of diabetic sensorimotor polyneuropathy.
- Authors: Perkins BA, Grewal J, Ng E, Ngo M, Bril V
- Issue date: 2006 Sep
- [Diagnosis and treatment of polyneuropathy: what can the family doctor do?].
- Authors: Hecht M, Heuss D, Hilz MJ
- Issue date: 2003 May 26
- Polyneuropathy in type 1 and type 2 diabetes: comparison of nerve conduction studies, thermal perception thresholds and intraepidermal nerve fibre densities.
- Authors: Løseth S, Mellgren SI, Jorde R, Lindal S, Stålberg E
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- A case of diabetic neuropathy combined with Guillain-Barre syndrome.
- Authors: Jin HY, Lee KA, Kim SY, Park JH, Baek HS, Park TS
- Issue date: 2010 Jun