The role of alcohol in deaths presenting to the coroner's service in Cork City and County.
AffiliationCork City Morgue, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork. email@example.com
Cause of Death
Coroners and Medical Examiners
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe role of alcohol in deaths presenting to the coroner's service in Cork City and County. 2009, 102 (1):13-5 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractA retrospective study was conducted in order to determine the prevalence and concentration of alcohol in post-mortem blood samples sent for toxicological analysis in Cork City and County in 2003 and 2004. Post mortem reports of these deaths were reviewed for the presence or absence of alcohol at the time of autopsy, blood alcohol concentration (BAC) at time of death, age and sex of the decedents. Of samples sent for blood alcohol analysis (BAA), 38.4% were positive for alcohol. Significant differences were found between the proportions of alcohol positive cases by cause of death. Alcohol positive cases were significantly younger (44.3 +/- 17.8 years) than alcohol negative cases (51.9 +/- 19.4 years) and fifty two percent of drivers were positive for alcohol at the time of death. Awareness of the harmful and potentially fatal effects of alcohol should continue to be raised within the community, so as to prevent future fatalities.
- [Alcohol and sudden death: a survey on alcohol-related deaths at tokyo Metropolitan Medical Examiner's Office (1989)].
- Authors: Yuzuriha T, Nakamura T, Shoji M, Matsushita S, Takagi S, Kono H
- Issue date: 1993 Jun
- Alcohol and casualties: a comparison of emergency room and coroner data.
- Authors: Cherpitel CJ
- Issue date: 1994 Mar
- A retrospective study of the accuracy between clinical and autopsy cause of death in the University of Malaya Medical Centre.
- Authors: Ong BB, Wong JJ, Hashim J
- Issue date: 2004 Jun
- [Prevalence of alcohol in fatalities in forensic medicine].
- Authors: Bartsch N, Trübner K, Püschel K
- Issue date: 1992 May
- Animal-caused fatalities in New Mexico, 1993-2004.
- Authors: Lathrop SL
- Issue date: 2007 Winter