Percutaneous vertebroplasty in osteoporosis, myeloma and Langerhans' cell histiocytosis.
AffiliationDepartment of Haematology, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPercutaneous vertebroplasty in osteoporosis, myeloma and Langerhans' cell histiocytosis., 102 (7):212-5 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThis review aims to assess the effectiveness of percutaneous vertebroplasty as a treatment for the severe refractory pain associated with vertebral fracture, in a group of patients with fractures secondary to either osteoporotic or neoplastic disease. A retrospective review of 20 patients treated with percutaneous vertebroplasty in Cork University Hospital up until March 2007 was carried out and a questionnaire was prepared and distributed. Prior to vertebroplasty, patients had been symptomatic with severe pain for a mean of 20.9 weeks. Of those thirteen whom replied to a postal questionnaire, 12 (92.3%) reported pain relief and this improvement occurred within 7 days in 9 (81.8%). This was associated with decreased analgesic requirements, as determined on chart review. Prior to the procedure only 5 (38.4%) were independently mobile and this figure rose to 10 (76.9%) afterwards, occurring within one week in the majority. Subjective outcomes were better in the group of patients with neoplasm-induced fractures.
- [Percutaneous vertebroplasty in the treatment of osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures: first short term results].
- Authors: Voormolen MH, Lohle PN, Fransen H, Juttmann JR, de Waal Malefijt J, Lampmann LE
- Issue date: 2003 Aug 9
- Repeat vertebroplasty for unrelieved pain at previously treated vertebral levels with osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures.
- Authors: He SC, Teng GJ, Deng G, Fang W, Guo JH, Zhu GY, Li GZ
- Issue date: 2008 Mar 15
- The value of routinely performing a bone biopsy during percutaneous vertebroplasty in treatment of osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures.
- Authors: Muijs SP, Akkermans PA, van Erkel AR, Dijkstra SD
- Issue date: 2009 Oct 15
- Does vertebral height restoration achieved at vertebroplasty matter?
- Authors: McKiernan F, Faciszewski T, Jensen R
- Issue date: 2005 Jul
- Percutaneous sacroplasty for osteoporotic sacral insufficiency fractures: a prospective, multicenter, observational pilot study.
- Authors: Frey ME, Depalma MJ, Cifu DX, Bhagia SM, Carne W, Daitch JS
- Issue date: 2008 Mar-Apr