AffiliationDepartment of Rheumatology, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MeSHAdrenal Cortex Hormones
Dose-Response Relationship, Drug
Hearing Loss, Sensorineural
Practice Guidelines as Topic
Randomized Controlled Trials as Topic
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCogan's syndrome: present and future directions. 2009, 29 (10):1117-21 Rheumatol. Int.
AbstractCogan's syndrome, typified by the combination of interstitial keratitis and immune-mediated sensorineural hearing loss, is a rare condition, and commonly associated with a diagnostic delay. Using a standard search protocol, we review the literature to date, focusing on a number of key areas pertaining to diagnosis, presentation and treatment. Using a case illustration of atypical disease which led to fulminant aortic regurgitation, we highlight the need for continued and collaborative research in order to identify negative prognostic factors and thus tailor therapeutic regimens. Atypical Cogan's syndrome is more commonly associated with systemic manifestations than typical disease, and may be refractory to immunosuppressive treatment. We discuss the application of laboratory (e.g antibodies targeting inner ear antigens) and radiological (PET-CT) aids to disease confirmation and detection of sub-clinical vascular inflammation. As illustrated by the included case description, some patients remain refractory to intense immunosuppression and delineation of adverse prognostic factors which may direct treatment, perhaps including the use of PET-CT, will contribute in the future to improving patient outcomes.
- Typical and atypical Cogan's syndrome: 32 cases and review of the literature.
- Authors: Grasland A, Pouchot J, Hachulla E, Blétry O, Papo T, Vinceneux P, Study Group for Cogan's Syndrome.
- Issue date: 2004 Aug
- [Cogan's Syndrome: case report].
- Authors: Medeiros FW, Altieri RA, Souza MB, Milani JA, Alves MR
- Issue date: 2005 Nov-Dec
- [Cogan's syndrome: a diagnostic challenge].
- Authors: Selivanova O, Haxel BR, Mann WJ
- Issue date: 2006 Aug
- [Cogan I syndrome: too often detected too late? A contribution to early diagnosis of Cogan I syndrome].
- Authors: Pleyer U, Baykal HE, Rohrbach JM, Bohndorf M, Rieck P, Reimann J, Kuhnt P, Saal J
- Issue date: 1995 Jul
- Course of auditory impairment in Cogan's syndrome.
- Authors: Son HJ, Ulualp SO
- Issue date: 2009 Jan-Feb