Second trimester hepatic rupture in a 35 year old nulliparous woman with HELLP syndrome: a case report.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland. email@example.com.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSecond trimester hepatic rupture in a 35 year old nulliparous woman with HELLP syndrome: a case report. 2009, 4:23 World J Emerg Surg
JournalWorld journal of emergency surgery : WJES
AbstractThe HELLP syndrome (haemolysis, elevated liver blood tests and low platelets) is a serious complication in pregnancy characterized by haemolysis, elevated liver enzymes and low platelet count occurring in 0.5 to 0.9% of all pregnancies and in 10-20% of cases with severe preeclampsia. Hepatic capsular rupture is a rare yet dramatic complication of HELLP syndrome. The majority of cases occur in multiparous women over the age of 30. Classically it presents with acute onset right upper quadrant pain in the presence of constitutional symptoms such as vomiting and pyrexia. However, symptoms and signs are usually non specific. Spontaneous hepatic rupture can be preceded by signs of hypovolaemic shock; yet the diagnosis is infrequently made prior to emergent laparotomy. We present the case of a 35 year old nulliparous woman with a second trimester gestational hepatic rupture associated with HELLP syndrome. We briefly discuss the aetiology, diagnostic difficulties and treatment options associated with this rare presentation.
- Spontaneous hepatic rupture caused by hemolysis, elevated liver enzymes, and low platelet count syndrome.
- Authors: You JS, Chung YE, Chung HS, Joo Y, Chung SP, Lee HS
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Transcatheter Arterial Embolization for Spontaneous Hepatic Rupture Associated with HELLP Syndrome: A Case Report.
- Authors: Nam IC, Won JH, Kim S, Bae K, Jeon KN, Moon JI, Cho E, Park JE, Jang JY, Park SE
- Issue date: 2021 Oct 2
- Subcapsular Liver Hematoma: A Rare Complication of Hemolysis, Elevated Liver Enzymes, and Low Platelets (HELLP) Syndrome Managed Conservatively.
- Authors: Grigorakis S, Tzimas GN, Alexakis C, Morea BE, Kontomitros N
- Issue date: 2022 Feb
- Recurrent spontaneous hepatic rupture in pregnancy: A case report.
- Authors: Han GH, Kim MA
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Hepatic rupture associated with preeclampsia, report of three cases and literature review.
- Authors: Escobar Vidarte MF, Montes D, Pérez A, Loaiza-Osorio S, José Nieto Calvache A
- Issue date: 2019 Aug