Six months in an Irish emergency department: the experience of a senior house officer.
AffiliationDepartment of Emergency Medicine, Cork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland. email@example.com
Aged, 80 and over
Emergency Service, Hospital
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSix months in an Irish emergency department: the experience of a senior house officer. 2009, 178 (3):273-6 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractEmergency Medicine (EM) is a challenging specialty to work within and forms part of a number of training programs. The Emergency Medicine experience at non-consultant hospital doctor (NCHD) level in Ireland has not been reported.
We retrospectively audited one NCHDs 6-month experience in Emergency Medicine at Cork University Hospital to document the potential experience gained from this rotation.
We found a broad experience and exposure to a variety of medical conditions, especially orthopaedic presentations (39% of patients seen).
Emergency Medicine provides a potential broad experience for a senior house officer and may be of benefit to various training schemes.
- A chapter in emergency: a surgical trainee's experience.
- Authors: Khan AM, Lauffer G, Haddad F
- Issue date: 2003 Nov
- Training and competency in rapid sequence intubation: the perspective from a Scottish teaching hospital emergency department.
- Authors: Donald CB
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- A population follow-up study of patients who left an emergency department without being seen by a medical officer.
- Authors: Mohsin M, Forero R, Ieraci S, Bauman AE, Young L, Santiano N
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- Determining the common medical presenting problems to an accident and emergency department.
- Authors: Armon K, Stephenson T, Gabriel V, MacFaul R, Eccleston P, Werneke U, Smith S
- Issue date: 2001 May
- Accuracy of ultrasound exam performed by emergency medicine versus radiology residents in the diagnosis of acute appendicitis.
- Authors: Shahbazipar M, Seyedhosseini J, Vahidi E, Motahar Vahedi HS, Jahanshir A
- Issue date: 2019 Aug