Intracystic papillary carcinoma in a male as a rare presentation of breast cancer: a case report and literature review.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Cork University Hospital, University College Cork, Wilton Road, Cork, Ireland. Laszlo.Romics@umassmed.edu.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIntracystic papillary carcinoma in a male as a rare presentation of breast cancer: a case report and literature review. 2009, 3:13 J Med Case Reports
JournalJournal of medical case reports
AbstractThe term "intracystic papillary ductal carcinoma in situ" has recently changed and is now more appropriately referred to "intracystic papillary carcinoma". Intracystic papillary carcinoma in men is an extremely rare disease with only a few case presentations published in the literature so far.
We discuss a case of a 44-year-old Caucasian man with an intracystic papillary carcinoma treated with simple mastectomy, sentinel lymph-node biopsy and contralateral risk-reducing mastectomy. These were followed by adjuvant radiotherapy of the breast.
Triple assessment (i.e. clinical examination and radiological and histological assessment) with a high level of clinical suspicion is necessary to diagnose intracystic papillary carcinoma in men due to its rarity. Furthermore, genetic testing and risk-reducing mastectomy should also be considered in cases of a strong family history for male breast cancer.
- Intracystic papillary carcinoma of the breast in males: a case report and review of the literature.
- Authors: S H, Hariprasad P, Srinivas T
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Literature review and case report of bilateral intracystic papillary carcinoma associated with an invasive ductal carcinoma in a male breast.
- Authors: Avau F, Chintinne M, Baudry S, Buxant F
- Issue date: 2022
- "Intracystic papillary breast cancer: a clinical update".
- Authors: Reefy SA, Kameshki R, Sada DA, Elewah AA, Awadhi AA, Awadhi KA
- Issue date: 2013
- Intracystic papillary breast carcinoma with DCIS in a man: a case report.
- Authors: Esposito E, Di Bonito M, Iodice G, Avino F, Donzelli I, Fucito A, Melucci MT, Saponara R, Siani C, Tortoriello R, Rinaldo M, di Giacomo R
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- Intracystic papillary carcinoma associated with ductal carcinoma in situ in a male breast: a case report.
- Authors: Brahmi SA, El M'rabet FZ, Akesbi Y, Benbrahim Z, El Hind F, Znati K, Benlemlih A, Tbaili N, Maaroufi M, Tizniti S, Amarti A, El Mesbahi O
- Issue date: 2009 Jul 29