Thoracic paravertebral block using real-time ultrasound guidance.
AuthorsO Riain, Seosamh C
Donnell, Brian O
Harmon, Dominic C
Fraher, John P
AffiliationDepartment of Anaesthesia, Mid-Western Regional Hospitals, Dooradoyle, Limerick, Ireland. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThoracic paravertebral block using real-time ultrasound guidance. 2010, 110 (1):248-51 Anesth. Analg.
JournalAnesthesia and analgesia
AbstractWe developed a technique for ultrasound-guided paravertebral block, which was subsequently applied in the clinical setting.
An initial cadaver study was used to develop a technique that was used in the clinical setting on patients undergoing breast cancer surgery.
Paravertebral catheters were correctly placed in the cadaveric trial in 8 of 10 attempts. In the clinical study, all blocked patients (n = 9) had evidence of thoracic wall sensory block and analgesia postoperatively.
Determined by anatomical dissection, we have described the ultrasound features of the thoracic paravertebral space and performed clinically successful ultrasound-guided paravertebral block.
- Ultrasound-guided thoracic paravertebral blockade: a cadaveric study.
- Authors: Cowie B, McGlade D, Ivanusic J, Barrington MJ
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 1
- The paravertebral lamina technique: a new regional anesthesia approach for breast surgery.
- Authors: Jüttner T, Werdehausen R, Hermanns H, Monaca E, Danzeisen O, Pannen BH, Janni W, Winterhalter M
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Ultrasound-guided approach to the paravertebral space for catheter insertion in infants and children.
- Authors: Boretsky K, Visoiu M, Bigeleisen P
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- [Effects of lateral and medial points of thoracic paravertebral nerve block by ultrasound for rapid recovery after laparoscopic cholecystectomy].
- Authors: Wu ZW, Ni HD, Hou XM, Lu YP, Zhou XY, Yao M
- Issue date: 2019 Apr 2
- [Ultrasound guided paravertebral block is an efficient technique for postoperative pain management in paediatric ambulatory surgery].
- Authors: Bouzinac A, Delbos A, Lavigne B
- Issue date: 2014 Mar