Mycotic aneurysm of the popliteal artery secondary to Streptococus pneumoniae: a case report and review of the literature.
AuthorsKilleen, Shane D
O'Sullivan, Martin J
Redmond, H Paul
Fulton, Gregory J
AffiliationDepartments of General Surgery, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMycotic aneurysm of the popliteal artery secondary to Streptococus pneumoniae: a case report and review of the literature. 2009, 3:117 J Med Case Reports
JournalJournal of medical case reports
AbstractCases of true mycotic popliteal artery aneurysm are rare. Presentation is variable but invasive and non-invasive investigations collectively facilitate diagnosis and guide operative procedures. Definitive treatment generally utilizes surgical intervention with excision and reconstruction using autologous vein graft. Prolonged targeted antibiotic therapy is an important adjuvant.
We describe the clinical presentation, radiological investigations and strategies on the management of a 47-year-old Caucasian Irish man who presented with a mycotic aneurysm of the popliteal artery due to thromboembolisation from Streptococus pneumoniae endocarditis.
Cases of true mycotic popliteal artery aneurysms are rare. To the best of our knowledge this is the first documented case of a popliteal artery mycotic aneurysm developing secondary to Streptococus pneumoniae highlighting the changing profile of causative microorganisms.
- Mycotic popliteal aneurysm rupture secondary to Campylobacter fetus.
- Authors: Melendez BA, Hollis HW Jr, Rehring TF
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Mycotic aneurysm of the popliteal artery secondary to tuberculosis. A case report and review of the literature.
- Authors: Jebara VA, Nasnas R, Achouh PE, Tabet G, Kassab R, Karam B, Rassi I
- Issue date: 1998
- Diagnosis and management of a ruptured popliteal mycotic pseudoaneurysm.
- Authors: Dua A, Kuy S, Desai SS, Kumar N, Heller J, Lee CJ
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- A rare case of S<i>treptococcus sanguinis</i> mycotic popliteal aneurysm.
- Authors: Jolly K, Barratt R, Nair A
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Ruptured mycotic aneurysm of the popliteal artery. A case report and review of the literature.
- Authors: Safar HA, Cinà CS
- Issue date: 2001 Apr