Analysis of phenotype, genotype and serotype distribution in erythromycin-resistant group B streptococci isolated from vaginal flora in Southern Ireland.
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Microbiology, Cork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland.
Drug Resistance, Bacterial
Gene Expression Regulation, Bacterial
Microbial Sensitivity Tests
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAnalysis of phenotype, genotype and serotype distribution in erythromycin-resistant group B streptococci isolated from vaginal flora in Southern Ireland. 2010, 138 (2):286-91 Epidemiol. Infect.
JournalEpidemiology and infection
AbstractThe screening of 2000 women of childbearing age in Cork between 2004 and 2006 produced 37 erythromycin-resistant group B streptococcus (GBS) isolates. PCR analysis was performed to determine the basis for erythromycin resistance. The ermTR gene was most frequently expressed (n = 19), followed by the ermB gene (n = 8). Four isolates harboured the mefA gene. Six isolates yielded no PCR products. Some phenotype-genotype correlation was observed. All isolates expressing the mefA gene displayed the M phenotype whilst all those expressing ermB displayed the constitutive macrolide resistance (cMLS(B)) phenotype. Of 19 isolates that expressed the ermTR gene, 16 displayed the inducible macrolide resistance (iMLS(B)) phenotype. Serotype analysis revealed that serotypes III and V predominated in these isolates. The identification of two erythromycin-resistant serotype VIII isolates among this collection represents the first reported finding of erythromycin resistance in this serotype. A single isolate was non-typable using two latex agglutination serotyping kits.
- Group B streptococcus colonization of Romanian women: phenotypic traits of isolates from vaginal swabs.
- Authors: Usein CR, Petrini A, Georgescu R, Grigore L, Străuţ M, Ungureanu V
- Issue date: 2009 Oct-Dec
- Phenotypical and genotypical characteristics of invasive group B Streptococcus isolates in Western Sydney 2000-2005.
- Authors: Darbar AA, Gilbert GL
- Issue date: 2007 Dec
- Serotypes and genotypes of erythromycin-resistant group B streptococci in Korea.
- Authors: Uh Y, Jang IH, Hwang GY, Lee MK, Yoon KJ, Kim HY
- Issue date: 2004 Jul
- Phenotypes, genotypes, serotypes and molecular epidemiology of erythromycin-resistant Streptococcus agalactiae in Italy.
- Authors: De Francesco MA, Caracciolo S, Gargiulo F, Manca N
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- Commensal Streptococcus agalactiae isolated from patients seen at University Hospital of Londrina, Paraná, Brazil: capsular types, genotyping, antimicrobial susceptibility and virulence determinants.
- Authors: Otaguiri ES, Morguette AE, Tavares ER, dos Santos PM, Morey AT, Cardoso JD, Perugini MR, Yamauchi LM, Yamada-Ogatta SF
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 21