The benefits of a laparoscopic approach in ileal pouch anal anastomosis formation: a single institutional retrospective case-matched experience.
AffiliationDepartment of Colorectal Surgery, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland. email@example.com
MeSHAdenomatous Polyposis Coli
Length of Stay
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe benefits of a laparoscopic approach in ileal pouch anal anastomosis formation: a single institutional retrospective case-matched experience. 2010, 179 (2):197-200 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractA laparoscopic approach to ileoanal pouch formation is novel. By using prospectively gathered data, laparoscopic and open restorative proctocolectomy procedures in mucosal ulcerative colitis (UC) and familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP) patients were compared using a case-matched design.
Ten consecutive patients have had laparoscopic ileal pouch anal anastomosis (IPAA) since April 2005. Their intraoperative findings, immediate and early postoperative outcomes are compared with ten non-selected patients who had an open IPAA pre April 2005.
Laparoscopic IPAA group had a shorter time to ileostomy function, a reduced mean time to regular diet and a mean shorter hospital stay. Their overall opioid analgesia requirements were 50% that of the open group. There were no re-operations or readmissions in either group. Mean operative time was longer for the laparoscopic group.
Patients undergoing laparoscopic IPAA can expect faster postoperative gastrointestinal recovery, reduced blood loss, reduced opioid requirements and improved cosmesis.
- Safety, feasibility, and short-term outcomes in 588 patients undergoing minimally invasive ileal pouch-anal anastomosis: a single-institution experience.
- Authors: Baek SJ, Dozois EJ, Mathis KL, Lightner AL, Boostrom SY, Cima RR, Pemberton JH, Larson DW
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Laparoscopic versus open 2-stage ileal pouch: laparoscopic approach allows for faster restoration of intestinal continuity.
- Authors: Fajardo AD, Dharmarajan S, George V, Hunt SR, Birnbaum EH, Fleshman JW, Mutch MG
- Issue date: 2010 Sep
- Safety, feasibility, and short-term outcomes of laparoscopic ileal-pouch-anal anastomosis: a single institutional case-matched experience.
- Authors: Larson DW, Cima RR, Dozois EJ, Davies M, Piotrowicz K, Barnes SA, Wolff B, Pemberton J
- Issue date: 2006 May
- Laparoscopic proctocolectomy with ileal pouch-anal anastomosis.
- Authors: Zhang H, Hu S, Zhi X, Wang L, Zhang G, Wang K
- Issue date: 2007 Oct
- Laparoscopic total proctocolectomy with ileal pouch anal anastomosis for ulcerative colitis and familial adenomatous polyposis: initial experience in Mexico.
- Authors: López-Rosales F, González-Contreras Q, Muro LJ, Berber MM, de León HT, Fernández OV, Veana RR
- Issue date: 2007 Dec