Macrolide antibiotics and the airway: antibiotic or non-antibiotic effects?
AffiliationCork University Hospital, The Department of Respiratory Medicine, Wilton, Cork, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMacrolide antibiotics and the airway: antibiotic or non-antibiotic effects? 2010, 19 (3):401-14 Expert Opin Investig Drugs
JournalExpert opinion on investigational drugs
AbstractThe macrolides are a class of antibiotics widely prescribed in infectious disease. More recently, there has been considerable interest in potential indications for these agents, in addition to their simple antibacterial indications, in a number of lung pathophysiologies.
Demonstrated clinical efficacy of macrolides in diseases such as diffuse panbronchiolitis was difficult to ascribe to a direct antimicrobial action. More recently, positive experiences in dealing with post-transplant bronchiolitis obliterans syndrome suggests that other chronic lung diseases may benefit from macrolide therapy. This is important, as the treatment options for such diseases are often very limited. In this review, potential antibiotic and non-antibiotic beneficial actions of macrolide therapy are discussed and conclusions drawn from a limited but growing literature.
The reader will gain an overview of lung diseases that may benefit from macrolides, and a consideration of the possible mechanisms underlying such benefit.
The key message from our review is that this class of agents may prove to be a useful therapeutic option for a range of respiratory diseases, but that further trials and mechanistic studies are required to clarify their role.
- Macrolide antibiotics and bronchiolitis obliterans following lung transplantation.
- Authors: Crowley S, Egan JJ
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- Use of macrolides in lung diseases: recent literature controversies.
- Authors: Silva Filho LV, Pinto LA, Stein RT
- Issue date: 2015 Nov-Dec
- Long-term macrolide therapy in chronic inflammatory airway diseases.
- Authors: Crosbie PA, Woodhead MA
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- [LONG TERM TREATMENT WITH MACROLIDES IN CHRONIC LUNG DISEASES].
- Authors: Shteinberg M, Schneer S, Lavon O, Adir Y
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Anti-inflammatory effects of macrolides in childhood lung diseases.
- Authors: Luisi F, Gandolfi TD, Daudt AD, Sanvitto JP, Pitrez PM, Pinto LA
- Issue date: 2012 Nov-Dec