Bilateral inferior vena cava filter insertion in a patient with duplication of the infrarenal vena cava.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiology, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland, email@example.com.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBilateral inferior vena cava filter insertion in a patient with duplication of the infrarenal vena cava. 2010: Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Inferior vena cava (IVC) filter insertion is a commonly performed procedure for indications such as recurrent pulmonary emboli or contraindication to anticoagulation. Symptomatic duplication of the IVC is exceedingly rare with only a handful of cases being described in the literature. AIM: We report an unusual case of a patient with symptomatic duplication of the IVC. RESULT: A 53-year-old woman presented at our hospital for resection of a cerebral metastasis from a non-small cell lung cancer following a recent diagnosis of bilateral lower limb deep venous thrombosis. This required perioperative reversal of anticoagulation and IVC filter insertion. Conventional venography performed during filter insertion documented the existence of a duplicated IVC. CONCLUSION: We present a case of a symptomatic duplication of the IVC requiring filter insertion. We review the developmental anatomy of the IVC along with the diagnostic findings and management strategies available.
- Double vena cava filter insertion in congenital duplicated inferior vena cava: a case report and literature review.
- Authors: Sartori MT, Zampieri P, Andres AL, Prandoni P, Motta R, Miotto D
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- Retrospective analysis of the use of inferior vena cava filters in routine hospital practice.
- Authors: Dovrish Z, Hadary R, Blickstein D, Shilo L, Ellis MH
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- Inferior vena cava duplication and deep venous thrombosis: case report and review of literature.
- Authors: Anne N, Pallapothu R, Holmes R, Johnson MD
- Issue date: 2005 Sep
- Management of acute lower extremity deep venous thrombosis in a patient with duplicated inferior vena cava and contraindication to anticoagulation: case and review of the literature.
- Authors: Patel S, Cheema A, Karawadia T, Carson M
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 4
- Indications, applications, and outcomes of inferior vena cava filters for venous thromboembolism in Japanese patients.
- Authors: Yamashita Y, Unoki T, Takagi D, Hamatani Y, Ishii M, Iguchi M, Ogawa H, Masunaga N, Wada H, Hasegawa K, Abe M, Akao M
- Issue date: 2016 Jul