Phase I/II safety study of transfusion of prion-filtered red cell concentrates in transfusion-dependent patients.
AffiliationDepartment of Haematology, Cork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPhase I/II safety study of transfusion of prion-filtered red cell concentrates in transfusion-dependent patients. 2010, 99 (2):174-6 Vox Sang.
AbstractVariant Creutzfeldt-Jakob (vCJD) is a fatal transfusion transmissible prion infection. No test for vCJD in the donor population is currently available. Therefore, prion removal by filtration of red cell concentrate (RCC) is an attractive option for prevention.
Twenty patients were recruited with ethical permission, to receive clinically necessary transfusion containing one unit of pfRCC. Follow-up at 24 hours, 6 weeks and 6 months was undertaken. A second pfRCC was administered to 6 patients with similar follow up. pfRCC were prepared using the CE marked P-Capt device by the IBTS.
In 20 transfused patients undergoing one exposure to a prion filtered unit, no attributable adverse events were noted. A subset of these (n = 6) underwent re-exposure to a further filtered unit without incident.
This phase 1/11 clinical study provides encouraging data on safety of prion filtration which can be used to plan more extensive studies on the use of filtered blood in adults and children.
- Infusion of P-Capt prion-filtered red blood cell products demonstrate acceptable in vivo viability and no evidence of neoantigen formation.
- Authors: Cancelas JA, Rugg N, Pratt PG, Worsham DN, Pehta JC, Banks K, Davenport RD, Judd WJ
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Pall leukotrap affinity prion-reduction filter removes exogenous infectious prions and endogenous infectivity from red cell concentrates.
- Authors: Sowemimo-Coker SO, Pesci S, Andrade F, Kim A, Kascsak RB, Kascsak RJ, Meeker C, Carp R
- Issue date: 2006 May
- In vitro assessment of red-cell concentrates in SAG-M filtered through the MacoPharma P-CAPT prion-reduction filter.
- Authors: Murphy CV, Eakins E, Fagan J, Croxon H, Murphy WG
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Cost-effectiveness of prion filtration of red blood cells to reduce the risk of transfusion-transmitted variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in the Republic of Ireland.
- Authors: Teljeur C, Flattery M, Harrington P, O'Neill M, Moran PS, Murphy L, Ryan M
- Issue date: 2012 Nov
- Prion reduction of red-blood-cells.
- Authors: Coste J, Prowse C, Grabmer C, Schennach H, Santos Prado Scuracchio P, Wendel SN, Germain M, Delage G, Krusius T, Ekblom-Kullberg S, Tiberghien P, O'Riordan J, Murphy WG, Flesland O, Turner M, Williamson L, Gregori L, Epstein J, Asher D, Panzer S, Reesink HW
- Issue date: 2012 Oct