Maintenance hemodialysis patients have high cumulative radiation exposure.
AuthorsKinsella, Sinead M
Coyle, Joe P
Long, Eva B
McWilliams, Sebastian R
Maher, Michael M
Clarkson, Michael R
Eustace, Joseph A
AffiliationDepartment of Nephrology, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland.
Kidney Failure, Chronic
Tomography, X-Ray Computed
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMaintenance hemodialysis patients have high cumulative radiation exposure. 2010, 78 (8):789-93 Kidney Int.
AbstractHemodialysis is associated with an increased risk of neoplasms which may result, at least in part, from exposure to ionizing radiation associated with frequent radiographic procedures. In order to estimate the average radiation exposure of those on hemodialysis, we conducted a retrospective study of 100 patients in a university-based dialysis unit followed for a median of 3.4 years. The number and type of radiological procedures were obtained from a central radiology database, and the cumulative effective radiation dose was calculated using standardized, procedure-specific radiation levels. The median annual radiation dose was 6.9 millisieverts (mSv) per patient-year. However, 14 patients had an annual cumulative effective radiation dose over 20 mSv, the upper averaged annual limit for occupational exposure. The median total cumulative effective radiation dose per patient over the study period was 21.7 mSv, in which 13 patients had a total cumulative effective radiation dose over 75 mSv, a value reported to be associated with a 7% increased risk of cancer-related mortality. Two-thirds of the total cumulative effective radiation dose was due to CT scanning. The average radiation exposure was significantly associated with the cause of end-stage renal disease, history of ischemic heart disease, transplant waitlist status, number of in-patient hospital days over follow-up, and death during the study period. These results highlight the substantial exposure to ionizing radiation in hemodialysis patients.
- Cumulative ionizing radiation exposure in patients with end stage kidney disease: a 6-year retrospective analysis.
- Authors: Coyle J, Kinsella S, McCarthy S, MacWilliams S, McLaughlin P, Eustace J, Maher MM
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- Estimated radiation exposure from medical imaging in hemodialysis patients.
- Authors: De Mauri A, Brambilla M, Chiarinotti D, Matheoud R, Carriero A, De Leo M
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Radiation exposure from medical imaging in dialyzed patients undergoing renal pre-transplant evaluation.
- Authors: De Mauri A, Matheoud R, Carriero A, Lizio D, Chiarinotti D, Brambilla M
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Cumulative radiation dose from medical imaging procedures in patients undergoing resection for lung cancer.
- Authors: Stiles BM, Mirza F, Towe CW, Ho VP, Port JL, Lee PC, Paul S, Yankelevitz DF, Altorki NK
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Cumulative radiation dose from medical imaging in kidney transplant patients.
- Authors: De Mauri A, Brambilla M, Izzo C, Matheoud R, Chiarinotti D, Carriero A, Stratta P, De Leo M
- Issue date: 2012 Sep