AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Mallow General Hospital, Cork, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationH1N1 infection in emergency surgery: A cautionary tale. 2010, 1 (1):4-6 Int J Surg Case Rep
JournalInternational journal of surgery case reports
AbstractPandemic 2009 influenza A H1N1 has spread rapidly since its first report in Mexico in March 2009. This is the first influenza pandemic in over 40 years and it atypically affects previously healthy young adults, with higher rates of morbidity and mortality. The medical literature has been inundated with reports of H1N1 infection, the majority found in critical care and internal medicine journals with a relative paucity in the surgical literature. Despite this, it remains an important entity that can impact greatly on acute surgical emergencies. We present a case of previously healthy 31-year-old male who underwent open appendectomy. His post-operative recovery was complicated by acute respiratory distress syndrome secondary to H1N1 infection. This case report highlights the impact that H1N1 virus can have on acute surgical emergencies and how it can complicate the post-operative course.
- Critically Ill patients with 2009 influenza A(H1N1) in Mexico.
- Authors: Domínguez-Cherit G, Lapinsky SE, Macias AE, Pinto R, Espinosa-Perez L, de la Torre A, Poblano-Morales M, Baltazar-Torres JA, Bautista E, Martinez A, Martinez MA, Rivero E, Valdez R, Ruiz-Palacios G, Hernández M, Stewart TE, Fowler RA
- Issue date: 2009 Nov 4
- Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome Secondary to Influenza A(H1N1)pdm09: Clinical Characteristics and Mortality Predictors.
- Authors: Hernández-Cárdenas CM, Serna-Secundino H, García-Olazarán JG, Aguilar-Pérez CL, Rocha-Machado J, Campos-Calderón LF, Lugo-Goytia G
- Issue date: 2016 Sep-Oct
- Analysis of fatal cases of pandemic influenza A (H1N1) virus infections in pediatric patients with leukemia.
- Authors: Yöntem Y, Ilker D, Yeşim O, Ayşen T, Gülcihan O, Özgür C, Meral AC, Burçak TG, Bengü D, Esin A, Selim B, Canan V
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- H1N1 influenza: critical care aspects.
- Authors: Westall GP, Paraskeva M
- Issue date: 2011 Aug
- Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome as a presenting manifestation in young patients infected with H1N1 influenza virus.
- Authors: Pabst D, Kuehn J, Schuler-Luettmann S, Wiebe K, Lebiedz P
- Issue date: 2011 Dec