AffiliationDepartment of Academic Surgery, Cork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Lymph Node Excision
Neoplasms, Unknown Primary
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMelanoma of unknown origin: a case series. 2010, 179 (4):629-32 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractThe natural history of metastatic melanoma involving lymph nodes, in the absence of a known primary site (cutaneous, ocular or mucosal) has, to date, been poorly defined; and the optimal management of this rare subtype of disease is therefore unclear. Melanomas of unknown primary site (MUP) are estimated to comprise between 3.7 and 6% of all melanomas (Anbari et al. in Cancer 79:1861-1821, 1997).
Between 2002 and 2007, 478 patients were treated for melanoma in our department in Cork University Hospital, five of whom presented with MUP. We discuss their cases herein.
We should continue to treat this cohort of patients with an aggressive surgical approach and consider them for adjuvant therapies currently used to treat stage III disease.
- [Giant metastatic melanoma arising from an unknown primary site].
- Authors: Ørndrup MH, Crewe B, Stolle LB
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 20
- Metastatic melanoma to lymph nodes in patients with unknown primary sites.
- Authors: Cormier JN, Xing Y, Feng L, Huang X, Davidson L, Gershenwald JE, Lee JE, Mansfield PF, Ross MI
- Issue date: 2006 May 1
- Melanoma without a detectable primary site with metastases to lymph nodes.
- Authors: Rutkowski P, Nowecki ZI, Dziewirski W, Zdzienicki M, Pieñkowski A, Salamacha M, Michej W, Trepka S, Bylina E, Ruka W
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Outcome after therapeutic lymph node dissection in patients with unknown primary melanoma site.
- Authors: Prens SP, van der Ploeg AP, van Akkooi AC, van Montfort CA, van Geel AN, de Wilt JH, Eggermont AM, Verhoef C
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- Patients undergoing lymphadenectomy for stage III melanomas of known or unknown primary site do not differ in outcome.
- Authors: Hughes MC, Wright A, Barbour A, Thomas J, Smithers BM, Green AC, Khosrotehrani K
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 15