Polyarteritis nodosa presenting with clinical and radiologic features suggestive of polymyositis.
AffiliationDepartment of Rheumatology, Cork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland, Mharoon301@hotmail.com.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPolyarteritis nodosa presenting with clinical and radiologic features suggestive of polymyositis. 2011: Rheumatol. Int.
AbstractWe report a patient who presented with clinical and MRI findings suggestive of polymyositis but, in whom, muscle biopsy disclosed a strikingly different diagnosis. A 65-year-old woman presented with 3-week history of bilateral proximal muscle pain and weakness. Laboratory investigations showed markedly elevated inflammatory markers and mildly elevated muscle enzymes. MRI scans of lower limbs showed features suggestive of polymyositis. However, muscle biopsy showed features of a polyarteritis-type vasculitis affecting an intramuscular blood vessel. Our reports highlight the critical role of muscle biopsy in establishing the correct diagnosis in patients with suspected myositis.
- Polyarteritis nodosa presenting as polymyositis.
- Authors: Plumley SG, Rubio R, Alasfar S, Jasin HE
- Issue date: 2002 Jun
- Muscle involvement in polyarteritis nodosa: report of a patient presenting clinically as polymyositis and review of the literature.
- Authors: Fort JG, Griffin R, Tahmoush A, Abruzzo JL
- Issue date: 1994 May
- Case report 866. Pseudotumor of the muscle associated with necrotizing vasculitis of medium- and small-sized arteries and chronic myositis.
- Authors: Esteva-Lorenzo FJ, Ferreiro JL, Tardaguila F, de la Fuente A, Falasca G, Reginato AJ
- Issue date: 1994 Oct
- [Muscle-localized tumorlike polyarteritis nodosa].
- Authors: Hiar I, Ansart S, Volant A, Leroy JP, Pennec YL
- Issue date: 2002 Sep
- Muscular vasculitis confined to lower limbs: description of two case reports and a review of the literature.
- Authors: Tripoli A, Barsotti S, Pollina LE, Della Rossa A, Neri R, d'Ascanio A, Baldini C, Mosca M
- Issue date: 2017 Dec